Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » non-planar faces
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
non-planar faces [message #54900] Thu, 04 October 2012 21:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar evouga  is currently offline evouga
Go to all my models
Is it possible to upload a surface with non-planar quad faces? How will shapeways handle them?
Re: non-planar faces [message #54905 is a reply to message #54900 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 01:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
I think you are asking if you can have a quad where at least one of the points is in a different plane. The general answer is "no". For many file formats, all quads must be triangulated.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: non-planar faces [message #54911 is a reply to message #54900 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 03:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
A manifold surface area encloses a volume(where the chosen material solidifies) Since a face/quad/tri has no thickness,No volume
,it is not recognized as an object unless it is part of a manifold surface enclosing a volume. Consider the surface area a bubble, containing the volume where the material is supposed to be

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: non-planar faces [message #54912 is a reply to message #54911 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 03:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar evouga  is currently offline evouga
Go to all my models
Thanks. It sounds like I need to triangulate my faces.

Previous Topic:sketchup
Next Topic:cheaper and smaller