Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » FUD bust for molding, then bronze
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
FUD bust for molding, then bronze [message #54864] Thu, 04 October 2012 15:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar joie  is currently offline joie
Go to my shop
Hi there;

I have a project to make a present for my mother.

My grandpa passed away a few years ago and wanted to make a bust of him for her. My idea was to model the bust in 3D, print it at high resolution (that's why I chose Frosted Ultra Detail), then get a mold of it and get a final bronze bust. I wanted it very durable in order to leave it outdoors forever, so I didn't like the bronze material from shapeways, since it would be ruined in, say, ten years exposed to climate.

So, when I received it I saw some kind of lines, like the wood's veins. I thoght it was something related to FUD material because it is translucent. But making the bronze bust, the veins are very visible and, for me, this is absolutely unacceptable. Those veins are not the resolution limit of the FUD material, because it tan print details of ±0.025-0.05mm and those veins are separated like 1.00mm each one (the model is 150mm tall).

My gess is that is some kind of error or something, but you may find out what it is with this two pictures I took. The white model is FUD printed by Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=21132&

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2012 15:42 UTC]

Visit my blog at 3djoie.blogspot.com
Re: FUD bust for molding, then bronze [message #54865 is a reply to message #54864 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 15:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
These are build lines. It's really hard to tell the scale, I know you said they are like 1mm apart, but these lines are not uncommon in FUD. As you can see in this image from the Frosted Detail material page http://static1.sw-cdn.net/rrstatic/img/materials/fr-printlines.jpg

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: FUD bust for molding, then bronze [message #54867 is a reply to message #54865 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
¿Are you saying those lines are normal?, ¿Are they right?. Iif yes, I don't get the point of 3d printing at all..., I printed other things in Strong and Flexible and they don't have such lines..., I only chose FUD because it has more resolution. But, if more resolution means veins..., I don't want it anymore.

By the way, as I wrote in the first message, the bust is 15cm tall (although in the photo it is laid in the table), so those lines are very big.

Re: FUD bust for molding, then bronze [message #54879 is a reply to message #54864 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
As you can see in the image I posted, the lines are approx. 1mm apart. FD, and FUD do give you crisper details than the strong and flexible materials. If you look through the post production section of the forum, you'll see examples of how people deal with the stepping. Most will either sand and/or coat with a primer. These lines are something you could see from any production process, as molds are usually made via CNC. They only remove these lines by also sanding and polishing. And any other process then 3D printing this would most likely cost several times more. There are also service that will polish your prints for you. But, like the alternative production methods, this costs more as your paying someone to remove the stepping. Shapeways doesn't currently offer that service, as we want to offer the most economical prints without adding on a ton of post processing man hour charges. The polished materials we do offer, are all automated polishing process, to keep costs down. These processes won't give you the same level of polish a hand polish would. The strong and flexible models, unpolished, do have stepping as well. In some cases it can be hard to see, but this is because of the rough finish of the material that makes it blend more. I hope all this helps you out. I would either polish your FUD model and recast, or just polish the final piece.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: FUD bust for molding, then bronze [message #54890 is a reply to message #54879 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you for the information.

I will sand it and recast, but that is another process I didn't count on..., though it's not a big deal.

Re: FUD bust for molding, then bronze [message #54894 is a reply to message #54864 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 18:09 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I can understand the frustration, the process does have a learning curve. Thank you for sharing your process and concerns. It will certainly help others that are trying to do the same.

Previous Topic:F**k you I'm an anteater on my hand
Next Topic:Tuxedo Ring- Fancify your finger

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.