Home » Support » 3D Design » cheaper and smaller
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
cheaper and smaller [message #54876] Thu, 04 October 2012 16:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar jagdpanther  is currently offline jagdpanther
Go to all my models
hi i would like to see about a model of mine being printed for less than £10 at a smaller scale but when i try and set it up to print at smaller scale detail including the undercarriage disappears, any advice would be welcome. thanks. metal would be nice if possible, the model was designed by me for 3d animation so it may still contain internal details which would not be needed in the print.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2012 17:01 UTC]

Re: cheaper and smaller [message #54880 is a reply to message #54876 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Missing parts usually mean inverted normals and/or overlapping faces. It's hard to troubleshoot without the file though.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: cheaper and smaller [message #54884 is a reply to message #54880 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jagdpanther  is currently offline jagdpanther
Go to all my models
no if i set it up for inches rather than millimetres the details appear, i don't think there is a normals problem.
Re: cheaper and smaller [message #54888 is a reply to message #54876 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 17:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Hmm, That's odd. Try emailing it to service, they should be able to figure it out.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: cheaper and smaller [message #54892 is a reply to message #54884 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 18:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
It sounds like the latest upload procedures just discard small things.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 October 2012 18:07 UTC]

Re: cheaper and smaller [message #54917 is a reply to message #54892 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 06:11 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
That is indeed the case. Very small pieces are filtered out by the uploading software. Somewhere in the Forums there is a discussion of this. Somebody even did a set of tests to find out when pieces disappear.

You might try joining the pieces with a Boolean AND operation to make them into bigger pieces. But also be aware of minimum thickness rules for your material.

Greetings
Dragoman

Previous Topic:non-planar faces
Next Topic:Why is this cube so exspensive

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.