Home » Support » 3D Printing » Thickness vs. Transparency of Fine Detail Plastic and Frosted Detail Plastic
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Thickness vs. Transparency of Fine Detail Plastic and Frosted Detail Plastic [message #54760] Tue, 02 October 2012 19:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar Darksky72  is currently offline Darksky72
Go to all my models
I'm looking to create a spherical bubble of sorts that will be illuminated by a colored LED inside of it. To do this, I'm hoping to use either the fine detail or frosted detail plastic materials in transparent detail finish, but I'm unsure about what thicknesses to go for.

The overall look I would like to achieve is that of milky white dome which isn't see-through, but which glows fairly brightly when the light inside is on. Any insight on which of these to materials and in what thickness would best suit this look?

Thanks!
Re: Thickness vs. Transparency of Fine Detail Plastic and Frosted Detail Plastic [message #54761 is a reply to message #54760 ] Tue, 02 October 2012 20:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If you want a cloudy white, go with WSF instead. If you use the lowest thickness for the size, you should get a good glow without being transparent.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Thickness vs. Transparency of Fine Detail Plastic and Frosted Detail Plastic [message #54763 is a reply to message #54761 ] Tue, 02 October 2012 20:31 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Darksky72  is currently offline Darksky72
Go to all my models
That is one possibility, but I've played with the WSF material before and I'd be worried about how fragile it'd be if it were that thin (and it's a fairly large dome), plus it wouldn't really diffuse the light very well at that thickness (the different brightness areas in the LED's radius would be very apparent).

[Updated on: Tue, 02 October 2012 20:31 UTC]

Previous Topic:Order canceled with no refund and no email?
Next Topic:Upload error WRL file

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.