Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF? [message #51383] Sun, 15 July 2012 19:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar mariaeife  is currently offline mariaeife
Go to my shop
Hey people,

I heard that subjecting the WSF material to boiling water compromised it's flexibility, making it more brittle. Though, in digging through here on the topic of dyeing, seems everyone uses the hot water method. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks! Maria
Re: Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF? [message #51448 is a reply to message #51383 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 10:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
It's actually precisely the opposite - exposing the PA12 to boiling water anneals the material, making it more flexible by relieving its internal stresses. It's a common trick.
Re: Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF? [message #51472 is a reply to message #51448 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 16:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mariaeife  is currently offline mariaeife
Go to my shop
Hmm! Interesting.
Thanks for your reply!
Re: Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF? [message #52087 is a reply to message #51383 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 14:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fred.oliver  is currently offline fred.oliver
Go to all my models
My "space dock" got distored during shipping. (The plastic bag may have been too small.) If I put a deformed WSF model in hot water, will it return to its original shape? This seems to work well with resin.
Re: Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF? [message #54458 is a reply to message #52087 ] Mon, 24 September 2012 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bimrc  is currently offline bimrc
Go to my shop
fred.oliver wrote on Mon, 30 July 2012 14:58

My "space dock" got distored during shipping. (The plastic bag may have been too small.) If I put a deformed WSF model in hot water, will it return to its original shape? This seems to work well with resin.

I would also like to know.
Re: Adverse effect of boiling water on WSF? [message #54465 is a reply to message #54458 ] Mon, 24 September 2012 21:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fred.oliver  is currently offline fred.oliver
Go to all my models
Eventually I'll have to break down and give it a try, maybe by gradually increasing the temperature of the water. It's no good to me as it is.

On a related note, I've been soaking my WSF models overnight in Thompson's water seal, thinking it might help seal the pores as it supposedly does with concrete. I don't know if it does any good, but I can report that it appears to do no harm.

Previous Topic:Pendant chain
Next Topic:Making it less translucent