Home » Community » General Discussion » Pricing? what am i doing wrong
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Pricing? what am i doing wrong [message #54263] Wed, 19 September 2012 23:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar lordredraven  is currently offline lordredraven
Go to all my models
I upload a simple 2 in x 2in x 2 in cube to be printed as a miniature(it's going to be a gelatinous cube) and the file uploaded correct. Shapeways is saying ti will cost me 450 dollars to have a 2 inch cube printed in frosted ultra detail.??????!? I have seen way more complicated and larger items for much less. Even the cheapest of materials on the list is over $100 dollars. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Re: Pricing? what am i doing wrong [message #54264 is a reply to message #54263 ] Thu, 20 September 2012 02:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Its correct.( 2 x 2.54)*3=131.096521 cubic cm volume. 3.49 times that amount is around $450. To save money hollow out its interior properly, by creating interior wall thickness, with a tunnel connecting the interior surface to the outer. This technique is a money saver. brb, trying an experiment

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Pricing? what am i doing wrong [message #54266 is a reply to message #54263 ] Thu, 20 September 2012 02:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
One of those cubes? Get some silicone and transparent resin. Or some beads and follow one of the multiple recipes to make fake ice cubes. Or some plexiglass to make a cube and artist acrylic gel to texturize the outer surfaces. Or just buy one already made like the one by Otherworld Miniatures (15 pounds the basic model, 25 with victims inside) or something generic like Hobby Lobby's Make It Christmas decorations (5 dollars, 2 plastic cubes).
Re: Pricing? what am i doing wrong [message #54267 is a reply to message #54263 ] Thu, 20 September 2012 03:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Quit griping, using the material specs for wall thickness, I got it to 11.34 cm cubed volume, much less than 131. And I gave it a larger wall thickness than the min.
Smile or order a cheaper value material, seal it, and drip a material on it the gelatinous cube deserves. Them things still terrify this old D&D fan. Post production is still needed for the perfect result

[Updated on: Thu, 20 September 2012 03:35 UTC]

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Pricing? what am i doing wrong [message #54358 is a reply to message #54267 ] Fri, 21 September 2012 19:20 UTC Go to previous message
avatar radwolf76  is currently offline radwolf76
Go to all my models
If you decide to go the hollowed-out cube route, I'd leave the bottom off of it entirely, So that you can place a 28mm skeleton and maybe a weapon or two inside before you mount it on a base.

Previous Topic:Failed Order
Next Topic:how can i open a stl file?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.