Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster! [message #54012] Thu, 13 September 2012 21:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Was really excited to get this today. Ordered one in Sandstone material as a mockup to ensure the model printed properly, and was so impressed I'm probably going to just make sandstone the primary material (I think it's a pretty standard material for coasters anyway).

index.php?t=getfile&id=20464&private=0

There's a hollow in the bottom that I'm going to fill with cork material, which sadly I won't be able to do until tomorrow. Still, really excited! My first print on Shapeways (my only 3D printing before now was done with my high school's crappy little budget printer). Really impressed with the quality - I was expecting the same crappy little braided plastic deal that I've seen before, not even close. I'm chuffed Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=20465&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=20466&private=0

Re: Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster! [message #54037 is a reply to message #54012 ] Fri, 14 September 2012 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
woo hoo!

Glad you are chuffed on your design - it looks great.

I live for moments like this Very Happy

Community Manager | Shapeways
Re: Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster! [message #54040 is a reply to message #54012 ] Fri, 14 September 2012 19:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Only thing I can say against it is, sandstone isn't waterproof. It will fade colors, and from what I've heard, can damage the integrity of the piece.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster! [message #54099 is a reply to message #54012 ] Sat, 15 September 2012 22:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Action_N  is currently offline Action_N
Go to my shop
That's a really clever use of the Klingon Empire logo. I'd be careful with that top point, though - it seems awfully thin at the tip.

Now you need one for the United Federation of Planets!

"And though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

~ Ulysses
Re: Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster! [message #54138 is a reply to message #54099 ] Sun, 16 September 2012 22:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Thanks for your kind words Smile Yes, the tip actually broke off my beloved coaster when I dropped it. I'll need to soften and shorten it and update the model.

You were right about sandstone - it certainly discolors easily. However, I've spraypainted it black (and plan to continue doing so), and that seems to do a better job of hiding discoloration.
Re: Klingon Empire-inspired Coaster! [message #54141 is a reply to message #54138 ] Sun, 16 September 2012 22:18 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Action_N  is currently offline Action_N
Go to my shop
I would recommend rounding all three of the model's points off equally; that way it will be less likely to break, and still look good.

"And though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

~ Ulysses

Previous Topic:Slide Along by OSKAR
Next Topic:Avengers Logo Pendant