Home » Community » General Discussion » Health effects of using non-ceramics for food?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #53987] Thu, 13 September 2012 14:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar Daniel Baamonde  is currently offline Daniel Baamonde
Go to my shop
Hello,

I have a model that I am intending to have come in contact with drinks and I really can't print it in ceramic. I was wondering how unsafe the other materials are. Is it negligible like a slight chance of a stomach-ache, or really worrisome like a high chance of cancer.
Re: Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #53989 is a reply to message #53987 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 14:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Pretty much all the materials have elements that would come off in food or drink. Ceramics is glazed, and the glaze is food safe. Hence it being listed as food safe. Nothing else is coated in a food safe material so you will get pieces of the materials. I wouldn't risk it, or suggest risking it with any other material without giving it a food safe coating.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #54031 is a reply to message #53987 ] Fri, 14 September 2012 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
To echo Michael:

Shapeways does NOT recommend using any material besides glazed ceramics for food or liquids!

[Updated on: Fri, 14 September 2012 16:58 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #54044 is a reply to message #54031 ] Fri, 14 September 2012 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
Are Ceramics available unglazed, esp. for non-food applications.
Re: Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #54045 is a reply to message #53987 ] Fri, 14 September 2012 21:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Unfortunately, we can not offer ceramics unglazed, as they are too brittle for transport in their unglazed state.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 September 2012 21:38 UTC]

Re: Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #54048 is a reply to message #54045 ] Sat, 15 September 2012 00:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
Natalia, it is that very fragility that requires regular replacement in the application.

The raw ceramics is used as a good bearing material, once it has been laid-in,
then for use in the application.

If suitable travel holders were supplied, would you consider?
Re: Health effects of using non-ceramics for food? [message #54104 is a reply to message #54048 ] Sun, 16 September 2012 01:57 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I work here
I honestly don't think we could do that, it really is very brittle....but I can double check for you with our Materials Manager?

I'm curious now as to what you are creating?!

Previous Topic:Material Request
Next Topic:RC Pilot figures

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.