Home » Support » 3D Design » Sizing help -Medical research purposes- New member-first timer
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sizing help -Medical research purposes- New member-first timer [message #53878] Tue, 11 September 2012 16:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar Calaka  is currently offline Calaka
Go to all my models

Good morning

We are stuck at sizing. I´m working in zbrush but I do need this 3D print to be a very accurate and exact size since it is for medical research purposes.

I exported a obj. file from Osirix (from a DICOM file) to MeshLab where I deleted some unwanted artifacts and parts. Then exported a new obj. file to zbrush were I did the modeling. Once the work is done, I try to prepare the file using the 3D printer option in zbrush but the size it shows there is too big (mm) for its real life size purpose. So I haven´t uploaded the model because I need to get the exact size to be printed.

In the picture you can see the skull taken from DICOM file with Osirix. As notice I worked in zbrush where I modeled a part on the side. I imported the file from Osirix into zbrush to make it fit and it does as shown in the image. But the thing is how do I print this part (not the whole skull, only the modeled part) in real life sizes so it can fit the real scanned skull?

Please could you help me out I don´t know if I have been clear enough.

Thanks in advance

index.php?t=getfile&id=20362&private=0

• Attachment: Views.jpg
    (Size: 316.97KB, Downloaded 160 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 11 September 2012 16:12 UTC]

Re: Sizing help -Medical research purposes- New member-first timer [message #53893 is a reply to message #53878 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Open your file in http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php
There you can measure, scale and repair if necessary.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Sizing help -Medical research purposes- New member-first timer [message #53966 is a reply to message #53893 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 02:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Determine the unit size that zbrush exports as a STL if you do not want a colored material.
Import into netfabb which will give you the bounding box dimensions. If you scanned a cube whose dimensions were 12" x12" x12" for example, after importing into nettfabb, the bounding box dimensions were 12mm x 12mm x 12mm, you would then scale the object by a factor of 25.4 to get it to print to the correct size, then export the new object as a STL, upload to Shapeways.
When ever you have a problem always make sure to put a link to a file you need help with. That helps loads. What might be driving you crazy, many here can fix after a few minutes, and get you set up. PM me for any help.Smile

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith

Previous Topic:First timer, trying to make my design hollow
Next Topic:First time - How to get my adobe illustrator logo into 3D?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.