Home » Community » General Discussion » Is it Gold or not?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Is it Gold or not? [message #53924] Wed, 12 September 2012 05:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar danilobuendia  is currently offline danilobuendia
Go to all my models
I emailed support at Shapeways to find out if the gold plating is real gold or not, but I am confused on the answer I received:

"Thank you for your email. Our Gold Plated is not real gold, this is a model which will be printed in Stainless Steel and after this the model will be put in a bath with Gold. Maybe we are going to introduce real Gold as a material in the nearby future, but this is not something I can tell you for sure. "

So this is not real gold,but some sort of gold-tinted looking alloy? Can somebody tell us what it is?

Isn't it the law disclose what the materials actually are comprised of and it should implicitly say if something IS Gold or NOT Gold? You can't say it's Gold if it's not Gold.
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #53932 is a reply to message #53924 ] Wed, 12 September 2012 12:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
After reviewing, it appears I need to review more before answering you, I'll find out what the coating is and let you know.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 September 2012 13:52 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #53936 is a reply to message #53932 ] Wed, 12 September 2012 15:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you, Michael. That would be great.
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #53944 is a reply to message #53936 ] Wed, 12 September 2012 19:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Gold plating is just what it say. Your stainless steel object is electroplated with a thin gold layer -- usually of the order of 10 microns thick.

Bill Bedford
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #53990 is a reply to message #53944 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 15:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I received a response from Shapeways customer service. I asked 1 of 2 situations, and they answered:

"2) The model is stainless steel with a coating that is a FAKE GOLD layer."

So, my next question would be, what is this layer comprised of? As jewelers, my wife and I need to disclose what that is.
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #53991 is a reply to message #53924 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 15:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We are still working through what it is. We have conflicting information to thumb through to figure out what are the facts, and will let you know asap.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #53995 is a reply to message #53924 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 18:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Guys,

Apologies for the confusion, I think this is just a case of lost in translation the difference between pure gold and solid gold.

Your model is printed in steel, then it receives a pure 24 karat gold coating using an electrolytic process.

So the coating is PURE gold, but the model is not SOLID gold all the way through.

Danilo - as jewelers you can say with confidence that this is 24KT Gold Plated jewelry.

Best,
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #54007 is a reply to message #53995 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Could you please amend the specifications on the material hub accordingly ?

BTW right now, the materials for which you name "jewelry" as a typical use case (and hence
those that are most likely to be in contact with skin for more than a few seconds)
have only a short notice covering machinability, while all plastics have complete MSDS.
Re: Is it Gold or not? [message #54010 is a reply to message #53995 ] Thu, 13 September 2012 20:36 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thanks, Natalia!

I'm hoping that is the final answer. We're really excited that we can offer pieces that are gold plated, but wanted to make sure we can tell the clients that it's real gold with some confidence.

I can't wait to get our first order back!

~Danilo
Heylani Jewelry
Heylani Jewelry on Etsy

Previous Topic:3D printers
Next Topic:Altering File Names

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.