Home » Support » 3D Applications » Does Shapeways support texture filtering?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Does Shapeways support texture filtering? [message #53868] Tue, 11 September 2012 13:25 UTC Go to next message
avatar dgoemans  is currently offline dgoemans
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I'm attempting to make an app to launch along side a game I'm working on, and I was wondering if there was any way of specifying Shapeways to use Point or Nearest filtering for my textures for 3D models?

When I render my character in an engine, it renders perfectly when the filter mode is set, but the Shapeways 3D viewer always applies Bilinear or Trilinear filtering, and for a pixel art based game, this breaks the look. I've attempted to add TextureProperties to my x3d file, but it seems that Shapeways importer doesn't like them - it rejects those models, and accepts again when removing that TextureProperties tag.

Thanks in advance
David Goemans
Re: Does Shapeways support texture filtering? [message #53871 is a reply to message #53868 ] Tue, 11 September 2012 14:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dgoemans  is currently offline dgoemans
Go to my shop
I have found a work around. Upscaling my textures to 1024x1024 using a point/nearest upscale, and using those in the models simulates point, as it downscales ( which seems to default to nearest neighbour ). It'd be nice to know if there's an option or if that's coming?
Re: Does Shapeways support texture filtering? [message #58733 is a reply to message #53871 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 10:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi dgoemans,

I have asked our 3D developers to step in and answer this for you, I"m afraid I don't know either..

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Does Shapeways support texture filtering? [message #58752 is a reply to message #53871 ] Mon, 17 December 2012 18:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
The issue is how the 3D printers that support color handle it. On the backend we change your X3D file to a VRML file which doesn't have support for TextureProperty nodes. So I'd basically have to pull a trick like you did to get the behavior.

Most of the large voxel based stuff I've been seeing has mostly used per-vertex-color to get accurate coloring. Would that have worked for you or do you see unique value in the texture approach?

Director 3D Tools

Previous Topic:VRML - Blender- Map One Side Of Cube?
Next Topic:Projecting Images in Meshlab?