Home » Community » General Discussion » 2 legal questions for 3d printing
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  2 legal questions for 3d printing [message #53638] Wed, 05 September 2012 16:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar milosp  is currently offline milosp
Go to my shop
Hi!

I have concerns about 2 types of objects I would have for sale over this website:
1. Sculptures of famous people - can I sell them? They are sculptures and not scans, so it is based on resemblance, it would be not the same as if I would sell a photo of that person.
2. Sculptures of museum objects/sculptures. I did many objects for museum collections as freelance. If I would arrange with the company I worked for, would it be legal to sell the replicas of those objects. All objects were modeled digitally "by hand", and not 3d scanned.

Thank you,
Milos
Re: 2 legal questions for 3d printing [message #53642 is a reply to message #53638 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 17:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Milos,

You can print the celebrity statues. There's a sad Keanu on the site http://www.shapeways.com/model/364717/a-little-sad-keanu-ree ves.html

With the museum pieces, you need to check with the museum as to who owns the IP rights on those objects. If the artists are ok with you selling replicas, you can state that in the description.

There is more information in our Terms and Conditions here:
http://www.shapeways.com/terms_and_conditions
and the content policy here:
http://www.shapeways.com/legal/content_policy

Best,
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: 2 legal questions for 3d printing [message #53645 is a reply to message #53642 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 17:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hmm, I am still concerned. This is what I have just found:

Celebrities have the exclusive "publicity rights" to exploit their own personas (names, signatures, images, etc.) for profit. if you try to profit by associating your art work with a famous person, you may be violating their rights of publicity and engaging in unfair competition. The publicity right means that a person's image can't be commercially exploited without that person's consent.
Re: 2 legal questions for 3d printing [message #53646 is a reply to message #53645 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 17:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ComesToLife  is currently offline ComesToLife
Go to my shop
Hi. I have similar questions....

I have modeled Ed209 robot from Robocop Movie a while back. The model is very detailed and I actually made some animations with it. As the other guy mentioned it was made by hand and its a digital sculpture of a creature from the movie. These robots had been made into toys before by large toy companies.

1. Can I print it via 3D printer into kits and sell those kits?
2. Can I print is and assemble the robot to sell it as a whole?
3. Or can I just print it for myself and own it legally?

Here is example of it: http://zoomzoom.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=120#/d296lwq

Custom 3D Art that goes beyond 3D printing
www.InteractiveIdea.net
Re: 2 legal questions for 3d printing [message #53647 is a reply to message #53646 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 17:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Companies do sell those toys, but they need to buy off rights and pay royalties for every item sold.

I guess I could try contacting the actor's managers about the rights, but thinking about it, it would be much more time investment than potential profit, and even working in mcdonalds for that time would be more per hour profit (not to mention sculpting/modeling time). I guess I will print it all just for myself.
Re: 2 legal questions for 3d printing [message #53649 is a reply to message #53647 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 18:40 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The beauty of Shapeways business model is that once you have produced a model, you can sell that model within your Shapways Shop. You don't need to carry stock,you don't need to work for anyone. Upshot is the you invest your time in creating a model, 2, 15 or 200 hours for that design that can create you a residual income, all that is invested is your time and maybe a single purchase for photographs and videos. More time may need to be invested for promtion - equating talent with a job is a no-no in my books.

For the legalities of a design/model your best bet is to ask the right people for the correct information for your locality - I could say yes, go ahead, do whatever you want, but I'm just another voice on the internet and we all know what weight voices on the internet carry = none.

Any-which-way, some celebrities may be flattered that you've spent a chunck of your life recreating their likeness as a 3D model and gone to the expense of having the model printed, other celebrities my already have a licensed company churning out dolls and that might be a sticking point.

Have fun dodging the mines Wink

Paul

Previous Topic:Why does a customer have to sign up to order?
Next Topic:Bad printing quality and Printing orientation. Please FIX!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.