Home » Community » General Discussion » Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please [message #53611] Tue, 04 September 2012 23:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar CactusBones  is currently offline CactusBones
Go to my shop
Anyone know an effective way to import illustrator paths into sketchup. I have already attempted to export my paths and save as .dwg files to use in sketchup but it just freezes and goes no further when I try to import in to sketchup. Do I need a plug in for this?
Any other free 3d apps that anyone can recommend for someone who wants to have illustrator integration?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 September 2012 23:17 UTC]

Re: Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please [message #53612 is a reply to message #53611 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 23:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar christopherlowe  is currently offline christopherlowe
Go to my shop
you might try SVG file.

if that doesn't work then try blender and it will read the SVG file.

chris

please visit my blog at...
http://chrisshopofmodels.blogspot.com
Re: Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please [message #53627 is a reply to message #53611 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 12:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
You can import dxf/dwg files with Sketchup Pro, or use this plugin to import dxf to the free version of Sketchup.

One thing to be aware of - Sketchup doesn't work well with small lines. The workaround is to scale up your model to do the work, then scale down before exporting the 3D model. You may need to set the import options in Sketchup to larger than life size when importing so that all the artwork comes in. For example, if you export from Illustrator in mm, then import to Sketchup in meters, do your work, then scale back down 1000x before exporting the 3D model for printing.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 September 2012 12:41 UTC]

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please [message #53665 is a reply to message #53627 ] Wed, 05 September 2012 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the plugin and installed it in sketchups plugin folder. Both dwg and dxf files remain grayed out as un selectable when I attempt to import them into sketchup. I can not open them in sketchup either. When I attempt to drag and drop the dwg or dxf files into the sketchup window as I can do with jpg pdfs and other files it gives me this interesting message in the screenshot below...

Any knowledge on this appreciated. I hate attempting to draw in sketchup its such a pain and I would love if I could just do all the details in illustrator first. Does anyone find blender any more intuitive than sketchup?

index.php?t=getfile&id=20207&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 05 September 2012 23:16 UTC]

Re: Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please [message #53669 is a reply to message #53665 ] Thu, 06 September 2012 01:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
The Pro version of Sketchup 8 can import DWG and DXF natively from the import menu. the plugin you just installed in your plugins folder should give you a new option to import DXF files from the import menu. Your grayed out DWG/DXF option should be normal for a non-pro install. Look for the DXF option added for your plugin. When exporting from illustrator I always use DXF for AutoCAD 2000/LT2000 as my formating and Maximum Editability checked. When importing Sketchup cannot handle line segments smaller than 0.125mm so as mentioned use a different scale if possible when importing. Sketchup also tends to hang when importing large amounts of breizer curves, its best to use the add points function in the paths menue to subdivide curves creating facetes, however sketchup also hangs when importing more than 1,000 points from a DWG/DXF so so be careful of complex designs (this could be my processor's problem but I mention it anyway).
You might also try the alternative plugin I've linked below. It has some more complex options than the plugin you originally installed. It will appear in the plugins menu rather than the file menu.
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=22199

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com
Re: Illustrator integration with Sketchup / Advice please [message #54183 is a reply to message #53669 ] Mon, 17 September 2012 22:04 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
There might have been a problem with the link that someone else provided for the exporter plugin previously in this thread.
I downloaded a different one from the link below today and it shows up and works just fine:
exporter
http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchu p-skp-files-dxf-or-stl

importer
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=31186

problem solved

Also wanted to add that I found another way to do this without plugins. If you can get your hands on a copy of Sketchup 6 these import capabilities into sketchup from illustrator are pretty seamless with out all the plugins. I pull it in to v6 then save it and open it in 8 without any problems. <Mac user

[Updated on: Sat, 29 September 2012 20:23 UTC]

Previous Topic:rejection queue
Next Topic:Plastic and Steel / Different dimensions?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.