Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Printing » 3DS Max export wrong size
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3DS Max export wrong size [message #53575] Tue, 04 September 2012 11:05 UTC Go to next message
avatar paulelderdesign  is currently offline paulelderdesign
Go to my shop
HI all

I'm not new to 3D modelling, in fact have been doing it for games and films for over 10 years. When exporting an OBJ from 3DS Max I can see
the scale is correct, for example a belt buckle at 120 mm in height. When uploading to my Shapeways it all gets a bit confusing with H, W and D
and I can't tell if I have the right scale. Any tips on Units setup from Max to Shapeways? Confused

Also wouldn't it be beneficial for us to scale once we upload as a kind of aspect ratio type in system? that way we don't have to charge more for the
model if it is the wrong scale.

Regards

Paul
Re: 3DS Max export wrong size [message #53576 is a reply to message #53575 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 11:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Paul,

Your best bet is to grab a copy of NetFabb Studio Basic. You'll be able to check all your measurements, wall thicknesses etc and re-scale your models before uploading.

One reason that models don't have any scaling feature here on Shapeways is that when scaled down, there maybe areas of the model that make the model unprintable. Although the suggestion does crop up from time to time it is logical that the model size should be as intended at upload time.

Paul

[Updated on: Tue, 04 September 2012 11:32 UTC]

Re: 3DS Max export wrong size [message #53593 is a reply to message #53576 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 17:42 UTC Go to previous message
avatar paulelderdesign  is currently offline paulelderdesign
Go to my shop
Thank You I shall download this program and see what happens. I went through the forum after and have heard great things about it Razz

Regards

Paul

Previous Topic:ss moving parts tolerances?
Next Topic:Possible with WSF/RSF? (3mm sphere with 1.5mm hole through it)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.