Home » Support » 3D Printing » ss moving parts tolerances?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
ss moving parts tolerances? [message #53562] Tue, 04 September 2012 04:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar fraochdha  is currently offline fraochdha
Go to my shop
I'm interested in printing objects in stainless steel and bronze with moving parts, but I can't seem to find what tolerance should be to print them together and yet insure their movement post print. Is this found in the materials page under design specifications? if not, where can I find it?

thanks!
Re: ss moving parts tolerances? [message #53563 is a reply to message #53562 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 05:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What you want is the Accuracy, in the Design Guidelines. It says +/- 2 mm. You will need to make all things big, then machine the parts down to final size. Remember it's a composite of steel and bronze, not an alloy, and that has been reported to stress tools more than expected. Interesting, the pages claim up to 30% bronze now, old info was 40%.
Re: ss moving parts tolerances? [message #53564 is a reply to message #53563 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 05:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fraochdha  is currently offline fraochdha
Go to my shop
thanks!

So if Im understand +/- 2mm correctly- if I have an axle in an axle support then the gap between the inside of the axle housing and the outside of the axle would be 4mm to play it safe? or will 2mm tolerance (distance between both surfaces) suffice?

thanks again!

P.
Re: ss moving parts tolerances? [message #53566 is a reply to message #53564 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 06:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sorry to say, you can't have moving parts with stainless steel within one model (as in captive parts) - you can have a few parts seperate in one model file and then assemble them afterwards. Details in the Design Guidelines.

Paul

Previous Topic:Colored Strong & Flexible Isn't Really Colored?
Next Topic:3DS Max export wrong size

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.