Home » Community » It arrived! » thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #52937] Tue, 21 August 2012 14:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar isis_11  is currently offline isis_11
Go to my shop
all the time i've had my fingers crossed, but my model is printed very well.
the thin layers feel very strong but are looking elegant and sharp.
(printed in stainless steel)

looking for jewels? check out http://www.shapeways.com/shops/designedbyisis
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53036 is a reply to message #52937 ] Thu, 23 August 2012 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mezmera  is currently offline Mezmera
Go to my shop
Wow, it looks really beautiful, very elegant. And somehow the vague print lines actually give it a bit of an extra texture that makes it look even better, I think. How thin did you make the walls?
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53038 is a reply to message #53036 ] Thu, 23 August 2012 14:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
thanks!
if I am measuring well, the thinnest parts of the leafs are 0.9 mm up to 0.5 mm at the edge of the leafs. (that's why they look so sharp)
A little further away from the edge (plus minus half a centimeter), the leaf is 1.4 mm thick.

happy designing

Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53136 is a reply to message #52937 ] Sat, 25 August 2012 23:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This is another example of printing that should not have been, according to Shapeways printing guidelines. Lots of unsupported thin walls make this pretty much a no-no to print in stainless steel. What happened to the 3mm wall limit?! And yet here we are. Risking something like this for yourself to order is one thing but I can almost guarantee you that if you offer this for sale as soon as your first customer orders one it will get rejected. And you can argue with Shapeways that's wrong because you've already had it made. Yep, been there (a few times) as have many others....

I really wish Shapeways would come up with a definitive set of rules that can get applied as soon as the model is uploaded...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53195 is a reply to message #53136 ] Mon, 27 August 2012 12:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
lensman wrote on Sat, 25 August 2012 23:13

I really wish Shapeways would come up with a definitive set of rules that can get applied as soon as the model is uploaded...

That's in the works. I haven't yet inquired whether this is another example of an item getting printed that should have been rejected, but I thought the same when I saw it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53274 is a reply to message #53195 ] Tue, 28 August 2012 19:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
hey guys,

The 3mm "rule" seems to be more like a guideline when reading the guidelines. Shapeways itself explains that thinner walls can be printed depending on the structure of the design. So what's wrong with having some experiments?
The way the guidelines are written now, it is a little bit confusing.

guidelines stainless steel: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/steel-design-guidelines

kind regards and happy designing

Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53275 is a reply to message #52937 ] Tue, 28 August 2012 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I'm sorry, I should have said that I love the design! There is nothing wrong with pushing the boundaries. Push them as much as you can! The concern is that if you ordered it again it could be rejected.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53286 is a reply to message #53274 ] Wed, 29 August 2012 02:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
isis_11 wrote on Tue, 28 August 2012 19:22

hey guys,

The 3mm "rule" seems to be more like a guideline when reading the guidelines. Shapeways itself explains that thinner walls can be printed depending on the structure of the design. So what's wrong with having some experiments?
The way the guidelines are written now, it is a little bit confusing.

"Depending on the structure of the design" is partly what I was referring to; Shapeways has often explained that there cannot be large expanses of unsupported thin walls, and that is exactly what we have here.

As for what's wrong with experiments, well, how about this: I and many users have created models that have been successfully printed. We then go on to offer them for sale and maybe one or two get through, but then suddenly, a customer (and the designer) get a rejection notice saying that the model cannot be printed for X reason. As a designer I find this embarrassing and frustrating because it makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing.

I know that Shapeways is trying to do something about this situation, but I think it's important that new users get to read about prior and existing problems so they don't all go out and design fancy looking stainless steel flowers, or whatever....

Glenn

[Updated on: Wed, 29 August 2012 02:23 UTC]

Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53472 is a reply to message #53136 ] Sat, 01 September 2012 11:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar neuralfirings  is currently offline neuralfirings
Go to my shop
lensman wrote on Sat, 25 August 2012 23:13

Lots of unsupported thin walls

Isn't the entire flower bulb supported? Unsupported means it's sticking out.. like the blades on a fan (which is supported only on one plane at the base). The only part of the flower that's unsupported is the end where there's that hole, but all other sides are connected to walls. Also, smaller sections of thin walls are more easily produced, and judging by the walls measurements, it looks like this bulb is pretty small to me.
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53474 is a reply to message #53472 ] Sat, 01 September 2012 13:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
neuralfirings wrote on Sat, 01 September 2012 11:37

Isn't the entire flower bulb supported?

Well, yes and no, really. All sides are supporting each other. By that reckoning it should be possible to make a 2mm or less thick ring in s/steel since all the sides are supported... but Shapeways doesn't allow that.

Note, that I'm not saying it's not possible to make this in stainless steel - obviously it is - just that to me it breaks all Shapeways own rules and could possibly cause problems should the maker decide to offer it for sale, and if it's made once why not again, as has been the case with quite a few of my own and other makers models.

Glenn

Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53531 is a reply to message #53474 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 14:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar neuralfirings  is currently offline neuralfirings
Go to my shop
Rings are different because the walls that are supported are further apart. Also, for rings the top and bottom are not supported, whereas in this bulb only the top is not supported. Those are pretty big differences.

I hear you though, I once had a model rejected after it was sold (it was a technical glitch that was quickly remedied and I got the sale!) and that feeling sucks. I hope it's something Shapeways can work out!
Re: thin layered 'lilly pendant' succeeded [message #53541 is a reply to message #53531 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 16:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
From what I can figure, Shapeways will push ProMetal (their stainless steel production partner) to have a model printed when the uploader orders it. Once printed, there can be occasions when multiple subsequent failed prints will trigger an 'unprintable flag' and thats when we as designerd get the idea that things have gone wrong - not at the first print, or second, but maybe the 30th - surely we need to be notified of such major events. I mean. who in their right mind would agree to releasing a workable print with a basic markup when that print could actually end up being a limited editition worth more to the pruchaser than the designer - transparency with all stages of production is a must.

Having said all that, 0.9mm thickness in steel can work (I've not been told of failures) yet a model I have had printed many times in stainless, the other day was rejected for glossy bornze, after some toing & froing it turns out the plain steel version takes a few hits to get done.

I can't wait for the day when a metal as cheap as stainless is printable at thin wall thicknesses Smile

Awesom lilly isis_11, lets hope the success continues.

Paul

Previous Topic:Swiss Army Knife Sides
Next Topic:Stickman tea box

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.