Home » Community » General Discussion » Why isn't "polished" black SF available?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #53451] Fri, 31 August 2012 20:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar fraochdha  is currently offline fraochdha
Go to my shop
I dig the white polished finish, but want it in black- is it not available, and why not?
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #53453 is a reply to message #53451 ] Fri, 31 August 2012 21:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar neuralfirings  is currently offline neuralfirings
Go to my shop
Black polish has been tricky. If it's dyed first and then polished.. then the polish wears off the dye and it looks faded. If it's polished and then dyed, then the hot water in the dye makes the polish a bit rougher.

If you have any success polishing dyed SF yourself, please let Shapeways know!
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #53457 is a reply to message #53453 ] Sat, 01 September 2012 00:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fraochdha  is currently offline fraochdha
Go to my shop
Is it suggested to try and die wsf polished after receipt?
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #53471 is a reply to message #53457 ] Sat, 01 September 2012 11:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar neuralfirings  is currently offline neuralfirings
Go to my shop
You can try, of course.. I haven't had much luck with my pieces. Paint sticks pretty well though--but then you get the paint texture, which might be good or bad depending on what you are using it for.
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #53579 is a reply to message #53451 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 12:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Keep patient a little while longer, no promises but I know polished colors are a work in progress.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #54705 is a reply to message #53579 ] Mon, 01 October 2012 17:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jukka K  is currently offline Jukka K
Go to all my models
Hi,
Rolling Eyes
Any news yet on availability of colored polished strong and flexible?
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #54737 is a reply to message #53451 ] Tue, 02 October 2012 12:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Material updates are at a slowed pace, as we're cleaning up InShape 2.0 (a software update). Once the clean up is done, new updates on the site will be fast and exciting, and everyone in SW will be able to work faster and more efficiently than ever before. So long story short, no update yet but be prepared to be amazed.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
icon14.gif  Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #54754 is a reply to message #54737 ] Tue, 02 October 2012 17:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jukka K  is currently offline Jukka K
Go to all my models
Thanks for the answer. Sounds great Razz
Re: Why isn't "polished" black SF available? [message #55199 is a reply to message #53451 ] Thu, 11 October 2012 16:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
We're bringing in polished colors!

See here:
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=5519 2&#msg_55192

Black polished is a separate project that we are working on. Stay tuned!

Shapeways Community Manager

Previous Topic:Small Batch Manufacturing
Next Topic:Prototyping on the Cheap

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.