Home » Community » General Discussion » Why does a customer have to sign up to order?
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53435] Fri, 31 August 2012 17:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
I'm pretty sure that a while ago Shapeways changed its policy regarding a customer placing orders. I was sure that one did not HAVE to sign up as a new Shapeways member in order to simply place an order. That appears to have changed. I just tried ordering as a new customer and, indeed, one DOES have to join Shapeways as a member. I really dislike that. If I order something online and don't expect to ever return I absolutely HATE having to join as a member and will often leave (yet another freakin' username and password to remember!!).

I feel this is a policy that is killing sales on Shapeways and would like some discussion from other members and Shapeways employees regarding this.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53436 is a reply to message #53435 ] Fri, 31 August 2012 17:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Be sure to put it up on uservoice.

http://feedback.shapeways.com/forums/111989-shapeways-feedba ck

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53438 is a reply to message #53435 ] Fri, 31 August 2012 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Good point. Will do.

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53441 is a reply to message #53435 ] Fri, 31 August 2012 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Glenn,

I remember the same too.

I believe that to 'need to sign up' puts many people off making a purchase, especially when the puchase may be an impulse buy.

High street stores don't ask for all your info when making a purchase, the internet should be no different espescially when there once was a 'No sign up needed to buy' policy here on Shapeways.

Paul
Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53452 is a reply to message #53441 ] Fri, 31 August 2012 21:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stop4stuff wrote on Fri, 31 August 2012 18:26

I believe that to 'need to sign up' puts many people off making a purchase, especially when the puchase may be an impulse buy.

Paul

I think you hit it right on the head there, Paul. And I'd be willing to bet that a LOT of sales on Shapeways are impulse buys.

Glenn

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53480 is a reply to message #53452 ] Sat, 01 September 2012 18:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kiorodesign  is currently offline kiorodesign
Go to my shop
...totally agree....

KIORO'design Team Ciro & Giovanna
Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53487 is a reply to message #53435 ] Sat, 01 September 2012 23:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If anyone reading cares to vote on this please go to my UserVoice comment: HERE

EDIT: Link doesn't work but in any event I now can't find my post there. See my message below.

Glenn

[Updated on: Sun, 02 September 2012 12:54 UTC]

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53493 is a reply to message #53487 ] Sun, 02 September 2012 06:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Glenn, your link takes me to kiorodesign's post above Sad

Paul

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53503 is a reply to message #53435 ] Sun, 02 September 2012 12:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You're right, sorry. I just went there again (through YouKnowWho4Eva's link) and couldn't find it. I know I wrote it and will not re-post...

Which brings up another point: The UserVoice section is flawed. For one thing it not easy to find. I cannot find a single link to it from Shapeways site - I always go there from someone else's link as above. And, while browsing through it to find my post I wanted to add comments on other posts but couldn't do so. In UserVoice I wasn't signed in and when I clicked on the Sign In link I kept getting a new Forum window open up that showed me as signed in!!

Frustrating to say the least.

Glenn

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53505 is a reply to message #53503 ] Sun, 02 September 2012 15:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yep, I've noted the feedback section login is broken in http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=10730& amp; amp;start=0&.

The only link I could find for the feedback bit was on the Contact Us page, under the 2nd section down, 'Feedback & Bugs'

Paul

[Updated on: Sun, 02 September 2012 16:01 UTC]

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53583 is a reply to message #53435 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 14:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Guys,

To address the two issues here:

1. You have ALWAYS had to sign up to buy something on the site - we need to know where to send it! This is just like ebay, amazon and other shopping sites. We are thinking about enabling facebook sign-on, but not everyone is enamored with this as a solution.

2.The link to UserVoice is under the Feedback&Bugs section.

Currently we know the the single sign-on for UserVoice is not working. Recently UserVoice changed their policy and was spamming you guys when you logged on.

So we have turned off single-sign on for UserVoice, until we can resolve it and not have them spamming you!

Natalia

[Updated on: Tue, 04 September 2012 21:26 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53589 is a reply to message #53583 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The link to feedback.shapeways.com is via 'Contact Us' and the login is broke.

Uservoice may be Shapeways 3rd party service supplier, but I suggest you go google 'uservoice shapeways' and see what useable links get returned - the clue is none!

Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53602 is a reply to message #53589 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 18:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Apologies if my previous post was not clear - we have turned off the single sign on for UserVoice while they are spamming you, please post feedback in the bugs and feedback section for now.

You can stil post in UserVoice, you just have to log in there.

Paul - you might not have seen it because we disabled it before it could affect too many people. Or your spam filters caught it!

[Updated on: Tue, 04 September 2012 21:30 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Why does a customer have to sign up to order? [message #53603 is a reply to message #53602 ] Tue, 04 September 2012 19:38 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
? UserVoice spamming who?

I've never had any emails from UserVoice (the integrated service that Shapeways use under the http://feedback.shapeways.com url) let alone spam.

Please expand.

Cheers,
Paul

Previous Topic:New customer cannot check out
Next Topic:2 legal questions for 3d printing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.