Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Printing » 3D printed metal and magnetism?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #5285] Sat, 18 July 2009 11:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar Autonomicum  is currently offline Autonomicum
Go to all my models
Does any of the 3D printable metals stick to a magnet?
And how brittle it actually is - I mean when I drop a glass shaped 3D metal object?

Thanks in advance,
T

[Updated on: Sat, 18 July 2009 11:31 UTC]

Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #5299 is a reply to message #5285 ] Mon, 20 July 2009 08:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
Well, steel is magnetic, so...yes.

As for how brittle it is, I think that would depend on the size and thickness of the object. If you mean a glass such as the tumbler I am presently holding, I think that would be just fine in metal.
Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #5300 is a reply to message #5299 ] Mon, 20 July 2009 08:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Autonomicum  is currently offline Autonomicum
Go to all my models
Ushanka wrote on Mon, 20 July 2009 08:07

Well, steel is magnetic, so...yes.

Well yes, only the raw steel is magnetic. Stainless steel is not and so are all the soft metals from aluminum to bronze to silver...
Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #5327 is a reply to message #5285 ] Tue, 21 July 2009 05:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar peterleroux  is currently offline peterleroux
Go to my shop
Not all stainless steels are magnetic, fortunately the one Shapeways uses is. I don't know if you could permanently magnetise it, but it is attracted to a magnet.
Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #5750 is a reply to message #5285 ] Sun, 09 August 2009 16:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
The Stainless alloy used here is alloy 420. And yes it is definitely magnetic. Quite strongly actually. Maybe even more so than a solid bar of the same alloy! Which is strange considering this is a composite including nearly 40% bronze. The lab guys tell me it has something to do with the use of powdered metal and the heat treatments the prints go through. Weird science for sure.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #5759 is a reply to message #5750 ] Mon, 10 August 2009 12:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
So other than powdered metal, can I order new limbs and/or extra internal organs from Shapeways yet? I'll design them myself? I'm thinking like a third eye or wolverine claws?

(chuckle)

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
icon5.gif  Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #17285 is a reply to message #5759 ] Sun, 05 September 2010 11:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jukka K  is currently offline Jukka K
Go to all my models
I tried to google for alloy 420 for some additional data on it's magnetic properties but didn't gain much. So it is able to quite well carry the magnetic field. In my application I would appreciate a low remaining magnetism, the less the better.

So how about remanence - the remaining magnetism after the current is off from a coil or permanent magnet has been moved from contact? Any numbers or practical "feel" when swept with a permanent magnet and tested to nails or something?

Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #17291 is a reply to message #17285 ] Sun, 05 September 2010 12:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Take a look towards the bottom of
this page (martensitic)

I tested my daughter's Leo Pendant with a couple of 10mm cube N42 NdFeB magnets... the residual magnetism is enough to hold dressmakers' pins.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 September 2010 12:58 UTC]

icon14.gif  Re: 3D printed metal and magnetism? [message #17292 is a reply to message #17291 ] Sun, 05 September 2010 13:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Jukka K  is currently offline Jukka K
Go to all my models
Thank you Paul for the data.

Previous Topic:REALLY too thin?
Next Topic:Question about materials

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.