Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Lens array or mold needed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Lens array or mold needed [message #52672] Wed, 15 August 2012 21:13 UTC Go to next message
avatar sParekh  is currently offline sParekh
Go to all my models
I need someone to help me make a mold for a lens array
It should mold hemisphical lenses arranged in a hexagonal / honeycomb design
It should be possible to connect many molds together to make a larger array. So this needs well fitting edges
if some arrangement of a top or cap is possible to provide a flat substrate, it would be good. The mold will hold transparent casting resin, so there must not be any run of colours used
Approx size of each lens is 5cm diameter. Each separated by the diameter to the next in a honeycomb arrangement.

Also, I don't think it's possible to 3d print using transparent materials. If I could I would print the lens array directly and not be forced to make a mold. I would be happy if someone told me this WAS possible!

Many thanks
Sanjay
Re: Lens array or mold needed [message #52674 is a reply to message #52672 ] Wed, 15 August 2012 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
None of the materials that Shapeways has are what you would call "clear". At best, they're translucent.

Beyond that, the "mold" you are asking for is going to be tough due to the stepping inherent in the 3d printing process.. you might be able to get a rough shape, but it's going to take a LOT of grinding / postprocessing to get the item smooth enough to not have severe disturbance of the visual field.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Lens array or mold needed [message #52682 is a reply to message #52672 ] Wed, 15 August 2012 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Hi Sanjay,

If the orientation of a model could be decided by the designer/model uploader this could be possible, but there still would be a lot of post processing work involved as mentioned by stony.

Another option for a lens is to go with a 'spin cast' lens such as described by Dan Rojas of GreenPowerScience, simple in principle but I'd imagine difficult in implimentation.

Paul

Re: Lens array or mold needed [message #54029 is a reply to message #52672 ] Fri, 14 September 2012 14:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar sParekh  is currently offline sParekh
Go to all my models
I wonder infact if there are an modellers out there who could construct this mold -(or indeed the lenses) using a Stereo Lithography method?
I should be able to use transparent resins in that case

Thanks
Sanjay

Previous Topic:3D Modeler for Interior Design
Next Topic:Need help converting Solidworks CAD drawings to finished product

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.