Home » Community » General Discussion » Legal stuff
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Legal stuff [message #52544] Mon, 13 August 2012 16:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar milosp  is currently offline milosp
Go to my shop
I have several models of famous actors I sculpted in 3d and would like to print and sell via this website. You can see them here:
http://milosparipovic.com/index.php/category/3d/character/
does somebody know if that is legal and why?
I know it would be illegal if I would take a photograph of a celebrity, and sell as posters.
Re: Legal stuff [message #52547 is a reply to message #52544 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 18:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The same rules (laws) that apply to pictures/drawings will apply to 3d prints. You will need the actor's permission (or that of their estate if they are deceased) to use their image.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Legal stuff [message #52550 is a reply to message #52547 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 18:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
imo, this is a grey area, a photograpgh of a famous person could be published with the appropriate model waiver, a sculpted likeness, is a different matter. Some people comission artists to create a sculpture of themselves, other people are flattered that someone has taken the time to sculpt their likeness.

The best bet is to contact the person or agency that deals with that person and ask for the definitive answer no matter what part of the world you or they are in. Different territories have different rules.

Re: Legal stuff [message #52552 is a reply to message #52550 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 19:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
Agreed - if these were created by a direct 3D imaging method, then it would be infringement of copyright.

If they are sculpted by the artist, then he has the copyright of his own work.

Question: Is it a copy in any way: or is it an original work of art?
Re: Legal stuff [message #52554 is a reply to message #52544 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 19:27 UTC Go to previous message
avatar milosp  is currently offline milosp
Go to my shop
Thank you for your answers. These were all made from the scratch so I suppose it qualifies as a work of art. I will just have to check if I can later promote it with actor's name, or not.

Previous Topic:Mac OSX 10.8
Next Topic:Packaging

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.