Home » Community » It arrived! » Rupee Soap Mould!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rupee Soap Mould! [message #52381] Wed, 08 August 2012 19:57 UTC Go to next message
avatar JentheGeek  is currently offline JentheGeek
Go to my shop
It took a while for me to get them (had to get a friend in the states to buy them and then reship them to me in Canada via USPS) but I am so glad I jumped through the hoops to do so!

Despite a humidex of 35 I turned on my double boiler to try them out!

Freshly poured:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8285/7740996160_3838cd0d84.jpg

Cooled:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/255293_269810209795153_1606126720_n.jpg

And the moulds themselves:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8430/7741818224_27a1d2f8fd.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7130/7741817252_22cd1c6ca0.jpg

I had them printed using polished white strong and flexible. Unfortunately it's the outside that's polished, not the inside (which makes sense in retrospect) so these rupees have a bit of a grain to them. When I order more I may go with Fine Plastic Detail, or see if there's anyway to have the inside polished.

But the shape is so perfect and the edges so crisp. I had tried to make my own by cutting a rupee from wood and making a mould of that, but it was always too rounded. I'm a perfectionist, so I wasn't content with these attempts.

They do take a bit of wiggling to get out, but not much more than other plastic moulds. I imagine the grain gives the mould more grip. There's a few tricks I can do for that so it's not really an issue.

I'll eventually have the soap up in my Etsy Shop, probably by early September. But I have Fan Expo in Toronto in a couple of weeks so I'm busy building up stock for there!

In addition to more of the rupee moulds I'm planning on making some soap stamps, using the easy creator! I tried a couple of designs but I didn't read the specs closely enough so they had spots that were too thin. Now I know!

I'll certainly be sharing this success with other soap makers, the possibilities are nearly endless!
Re: Rupee Soap Mould! [message #52383 is a reply to message #52381 ] Wed, 08 August 2012 20:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Takes me back to my gameboy days. Of course those Rupee's were grey... But nicely done! The polishing is done in a tumbler so the inside should get polished too, but the WSF will remain porous even with a nice polish. Perhaps a coat of primer or something to fill all the nooks and crannies and give a nice smooth finish? I don't know anything about making soap, so don't know how that would affect it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Rupee Soap Mould! [message #52391 is a reply to message #52383 ] Wed, 08 August 2012 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JentheGeek  is currently offline JentheGeek
Go to my shop
Perhaps given the shape the inside gets less... tumblingness?... than the outside. There are things I can coat it with, but it's otherwise so perfect I don't want to risk ruining it. I did get two though, so I may experiment with one!
Re: Rupee Soap Mould! [message #52470 is a reply to message #52381 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 17:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Mezmera  is currently offline Mezmera
Go to my shop
Cool idea, and the result looks great!

Previous Topic:Variomatic Cube Demo by OSKAR
Next Topic:Variomatic Cube by OSKAR

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.