Home » Community » General Discussion » Thermos
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Thermos [message #52447] Fri, 10 August 2012 03:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar alsome  is currently offline alsome
Go to all my models
Hi everyone,

I am trying to understand if it's possible to 3D print a double-walled cup -- imagine a cup inserted into a slightly larger cup and then the opening between their rims sealed. Obviously there's need to be an opening somewhere to get the filler out, and this is fine, but I am a bit fuzzy on the details -

1. If it'd be possible to keep the overall thickness of the double wall under 3-4 mm? And what material this will require?
(edit) Alright, so I guess this covers the thickness for Strong & Flexible materials. Consider this question closed.

2. What would be the smallest required size of the opening for getting the filler out? I just don't know if the filler is a fine-grained powder or something lumpy or sticky.

Thanks a bunch for any pointers.

Alex

[Updated on: Fri, 10 August 2012 05:46 UTC]

Re: Thermos [message #52452 is a reply to message #52447 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 07:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Alex,

Welcoms to Shapeways! Smile

Just about anything is possible with 3D printing Smile

If the shape is a simple double walled cylinder, you could go the route of drawing the profile for the walls, then spin/sweep or extrude the profile. A quick example is below, I've cut away part of the cylinder so the construction is more visable.

index.php?t=getfile&id=19491&private=0

With the Strong & Flexible materials, the support material is the same powdered material as the finished solid item. The powder is quite fine, but due to the process, it can be quite 'clumpy'. The S&F material design guidelines page says Min Escape Hole: 4mm (1 hole) / 2mm (2 holes) / Big models (multiple holes)

Paul

Re: Thermos [message #52466 is a reply to message #52452 ] Fri, 10 August 2012 16:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar alsome  is currently offline alsome
Go to all my models
Thanks, Paul. Precise and helpful.

Let's now I see if I can pull this thing off Smile

Previous Topic:PM bot says "i have a patent for that idea."?
Next Topic:3D printing houses!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.