Home » Support » 3D Printing » Quality Terrible
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Quality Terrible [message #52262] Fri, 03 August 2012 17:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar mv_eric  is currently offline mv_eric
Go to all my models
Has anybody else noticed that the part quality has declined a lot?
The first parts I ordered in white strong flexible were pretty good. Since then the quality has gone to shit.

I guess I could go for the detail plastic, but I also need strength.
Re: Quality Terrible [message #52263 is a reply to message #52262 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Do you have any examples of what you are seeing? The detail materials are strong, they just don't have the flexibility of WSF.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Quality Terrible [message #52264 is a reply to message #52263 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 18:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yes. I have eyeglass frames that have a hinge with a hole. The first models the hole was a little tight. The last models I ordered some of the holes were completely filled in with material.
Re: Quality Terrible [message #52265 is a reply to message #52264 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 18:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Another project, I have a part that screws onto a glass jar. The first parts ordered were a little tight, so I increased the diameter. The new part is even tighter than the first one.

I think Shapeways has increased the 3D printer speed to process more parts with the result that the quality has declined. That's OK for toys, not OK for parts that have to fit together.
Re: Quality Terrible [message #52270 is a reply to message #52265 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Please show us some images, Shapeways quality standards have not lowered. Your images will help us assess what happened to make your print not come out as desired, and help us figure out how to fix it.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Quality Terrible [message #52272 is a reply to message #52270 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 19:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
This drawing shows two parts, glasses frames and temple.
The hinge has a hole 2.4mm in diameter. The picture shows that the hole in the frame on the left is open, but the holes in the temple and right frame are completely blocked.

• Attachment: P1010004.JPG
    (Size: 498.86KB, Downloaded 102 time(s))

Re: Quality Terrible [message #52274 is a reply to message #52272 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Is it just trapped powder? Some times with WSF, holes can get clogged with powder, and only need a little push with a paper clip or any other object that can fit in there. If it is indeed fused powder, I'd email service@shapeways.com as your hole is large enough to not get closed.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 August 2012 19:45 UTC]

Re: Quality Terrible [message #52275 is a reply to message #52274 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 20:06 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Much of it can be pushed out with a paper clip.

Previous Topic:Holes
Next Topic:3D PRINT SHOW: INNOVATION AT IT'S BEST

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.