Home » Support » 3D Design » 3D design first time - Doing it right?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3D design first time - Doing it right? [message #51973] Fri, 27 July 2012 10:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar moogthedog  is currently offline moogthedog
Go to all my models
Hi. I'm a compete first timer, I've got a series of objects that I'd like to have made. It's 6 pieces that fit together to form a cube. I've used SketchUp to generate the outlines of the pieces, and I've done a bit of extra work on the first one (attached). (Any old-school Doctor Who fans may recognise it)

Originally the piece was solid, but that was going to be prohibitively expensive, so I've hollowed it out, and left the internal faces exposed, just to do something different..

So - Before I worsen my RSI finishing off the rest of the pieces, I thought I'd pop in here and check that this is the sort of thing I was supposed to be producing.

On the Shapeways side of things, what do you think the best material would be to form this? I want a polished finish, with nice clean points and edges, so I was considering the fine detail plastic. Does it come in different colours?

Also, if I were to put the six pieces together in one model, a) is that possible, and b) are there any considerations to be made over the fact that they're detached?

Thanks for *any* assistance.

Re: 3D design first time - Doing it right? [message #51985 is a reply to message #51973 ] Fri, 27 July 2012 12:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Welcome to Shapeways!

That's exactly how you should design the model, but depending on the material and the end use you could go even thinner.

If you need a nice finish Fine Detail plastic is a good material. The minimum wall thickness is 0.7 mm. I wouldn't necessarily go that thin, but 1-1.5mm thick would be sufficient for a part that small. You might also look at Polished strong and flexible - that may be cheaper but it will round off the corners somewhat.

Re six parts in one model, here's what the guidelines say for Fine Detail plastic:
Quote:

Multiple Part per STL:
Yes: (please sprue together your model if you have more than 5 parts)

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
Re: 3D design first time - Doing it right? [message #52246 is a reply to message #51985 ] Thu, 02 August 2012 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar thuisman  is currently offline thuisman
Go to all my models
Hello all,

I'm also new to 3d modeling and 3d printing.

I made the part I want to 3d-print in Google Sketchup(and attached it).

My question is:

- Is the way it is drawn ok?

- If I want to print this object, what do I have to change/do extra to make the printing of this object a success?

- What are the cost(aprox) for this? If it is just plastic or something. I know the prices are on the website, but I don't know how many cm3 this object is. How can I see that?

Thanks for your help,

Thijs

Re: 3D design first time - Doing it right? [message #52250 is a reply to message #52246 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 00:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If you save it as a STL file, and pick a unit of "Millimeters", then it comes up as 40mm in diameter, and 23mm tall.

Load it up in Netfabb, and it tells you that it's 7.44cm3 - about $12 in WSF

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: 3D design first time - Doing it right? [message #52251 is a reply to message #52246 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 02:55 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Hello Thijs,

By coincidence, I was hosting a meetup tonight about 3D Printing from Sketchup. I live streamed the Meetup via Google+ and saved it on YouTube. I used your model as an example. This was the first time trying this, so there was some trouble with the recording, but you should be able to learn something! You can see the video here.

Hope its helpful!

[Updated on: Fri, 03 August 2012 13:18 UTC]

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"

Previous Topic:Dual extrusion
Next Topic:Scanner Data (STL) to be repaired and modeled

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.