Home » Support » 3D Design » Dual extrusion
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dual extrusion [message #52123] Tue, 31 July 2012 02:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar ComesToLife  is currently offline ComesToLife
Go to my shop
Hi,

I am not new to modeling, but new to printing. I understand what the method of dual extrusion means, but I am not clear how the printer recognizes this process. How should the model be done in order for it to work?

Thanks.

Custom 3D Art that goes beyond 3D printing
www.InteractiveIdea.net
Re: Dual extrusion [message #52126 is a reply to message #52123 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 03:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Dual Extrusion doesn't apply to any of the Shapeways printers. The closest thing they have that comes to it is the process used by Full Color Sandstone, and that's more like a BubbleJet printer, rather than dual extruders.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Dual extrusion [message #52138 is a reply to message #52126 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 10:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ComesToLife  is currently offline ComesToLife
Go to my shop
yes. I know that... I read through their material info last week when I joined... but I have a client now asking for it and I am just curious of how that works.

I am told it should be two different stl files(in different color), but I am not clear if they can intersect and still print fine or they should be not touching each other, but still be separate files. And when it comes to different color, does that mean different shaders will work or color should be applied to vertices...

Custom 3D Art that goes beyond 3D printing
www.InteractiveIdea.net
Re: Dual extrusion [message #52172 is a reply to message #52138 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 21:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
I understand they should be in separate STL files. The separate files can have geometry that touches, but it can't overlap. The coloring is done in your modeling package before exporting to STL just so you can tell the separate parts from each other.

Here is more discussion on the matter (near the bottom of page): https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/makerbot/XkjVnsyCsMM

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"

Previous Topic:How to fix zero wall thickness
Next Topic:3D design first time - Doing it right?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.