|N to HOn30 Steam loco conversion project [message #52027] Sat, 28 July 2012 14:02 UTC
I'm developing a set of parts to convert a Bachmann N gauge 2-8-0 steam loco into a narrow gauge version for HOn30.The idea is (or at least was) to make the conversion fairly simple, and to leave the choice to the builder as to how much work is involved.Most parts will all be available separately to give a choice for the builder.|
The parts being developed are:
Tender body - done
Cab - done ( 2 versions, the mk.1 is in the photos )
Pilot - done
Air-pump - done
Chimney - done
Domes - done
Headlight - done
Bell - done
Some of these parts are available from other sources, I'm developing them because they are not easy to buy where I live.
Now for some pictures.First, a before and after comparison.Then some of a nearly finished model.
Next,I'll be showing how I did the conversion with the parts available so far.
(Size: 100.87KB, Downloaded 831 time(s))
(Size: 79.18KB, Downloaded 784 time(s))
(Size: 77.46KB, Downloaded 783 time(s))
[Updated on: Wed, 15 August 2012 22:03 UTC]
|Re: N to HOn30 Steam loco conversion project [message #52032 is a reply to message #52027 ] Sat, 28 July 2012 15:47 UTC
The parts used for the conversion:|
Some are still being developed (see first post).
I'll start with the locomotive.
Remove the body from the chassis, you need to remove the handrails from the rear of the cab and unclip the front steps from the smokebox.Pull the body up from the cab end and then push forward.The cab pulls off from the body.To remove the pilot,loosen the front screw on the keeper plate.This allows you to remove the pony truck,giving you access to the screw holding the pilot in place.The new pilot is a direct replacement for this.
You should have a pile of bits like this:
On the body,remove the chimney and domes (the rear one is held on by a screw).Remove the airpump and the foot board that went over it.
To allow the new cab to fit,a small part of the front of the footplate has to be removed.See below.
The pipes under the right side of the cab are cut back,as the new cab will be in the way.See above.
(Size: 66.41KB, Downloaded 755 time(s))
(Size: 81.13KB, Downloaded 745 time(s))
(Size: 79.38KB, Downloaded 742 time(s))
(Size: 87.59KB, Downloaded 747 time(s))
(Size: 83.55KB, Downloaded 743 time(s))
[Updated on: Sat, 28 July 2012 17:04 UTC]
|Re: N to HOn30 Steam loco conversion project [message #52033 is a reply to message #52032 ] Sat, 28 July 2012 16:02 UTC
Test fit the parts.The new cab fits the same way as the original.
Now things can a bit complicated.If you refit the body onto the chassis, you'll find something sticking out where one of the new domes is to go.
(A hollow dome may be the answer here,I'll look into it).
This problem can be solved with a bit of bodging.Remove the body and the weight at the front of the chassis.Unless you plan the use it somehow,remove the lightboard from the front of the chassis,cutting the wires close to the joints.
The tabs projecting up can be broken off at the hole in them.This still leaves enough exposed metal for the wires to make contact.
Place the wires over the remains of the tabs and wedge something non-conducting in between them to hold them in place.I used a small piece of wood.
(Size: 73.67KB, Downloaded 733 time(s))
(Size: 92.15KB, Downloaded 730 time(s))
(Size: 83.18KB, Downloaded 723 time(s))
(Size: 79.86KB, Downloaded 725 time(s))
(Size: 91.34KB, Downloaded 724 time(s))
[Updated on: Sun, 29 July 2012 09:58 UTC]
|Re: N to HOn30 Steam loco conversion project [message #52051 is a reply to message #52040 ] Sun, 29 July 2012 10:08 UTC
A word about finishing.I left any detail off the cab roof because the finish of a curved surface can vary with the printing process.A roof hatch can be made out of some plastic card if you want.|
To get a smooth finish on the roof, the method I use is to paint (acrylic), and sand when dry.Repeat until a smooth finish is achieved.This photo was taken mid-process.
(Size: 112.34KB, Downloaded 663 time(s))
[Updated on: Sun, 29 July 2012 10:10 UTC]
|Re: N to HOn30 Steam loco conversion project [message #52795 is a reply to message #52678 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 22:41 UTC
The two domes are the same size, but one has a larger base making it sit slightly higher.I've replaced the front dome with the larger based one.The bell is mounted where the original one was, the hole drilled to 1mm (#61). The light also needs a 1mm hole for mounting.|
The light is painted silver on the inside.It has some micro krystal klear in the opening for the lens.There is room inside for a very small LED if you want to make it work.
(Size: 94.79KB, Downloaded 627 time(s))
(Size: 103.77KB, Downloaded 627 time(s))
[Updated on: Sat, 18 August 2012 10:12 UTC]