Home » Support » 3D Printing » Sandstone Texture mapping Questions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #51791] Tue, 24 July 2012 18:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar MikeP  is currently offline MikeP
Go to my shop
I have some Sandstone VRML97 textureing questions:

* can we use Multi/sub-object mapping or is it one map per object?

* Is there a limit on the Image file size?

* Can we use 3dMax Cylindrical, spherical or box mapping?

Thanks!
Re: Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #52213 is a reply to message #51791 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 18:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I used one map.

500x500

And I used planar and cylindrical mapping.

Here's the Non mapped version, the mapped version and the texture map, I prefer it without mapping but I really want to see how the map works on the sandstone.

index.php?t=getfile&id=19209&private=0

• Attachment: Machine.jpg
    (Size: 49.09KB, Downloaded 176 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 01 August 2012 18:26 UTC]

Re: Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #52223 is a reply to message #52213 ] Thu, 02 August 2012 03:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
I believe that texture being applied to colored sandstone is way above the the technology that exists now for 3d printers.
Consider it basically uses spot colors( solid colors on its uv map) with certain colors the printer can produce, that come close to the colors you have on the texture. Although that was a fine texture you created, the 3D printer would have a hissy fit making heads or tails of it.Smile

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #52224 is a reply to message #52213 ] Thu, 02 August 2012 04:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
From experience, sandstone is like 90's printers, four ink HPs and Epsons claiming 600-720 DPI, and using rough off-white paper, instead of photo paper. Some shades become something clearly different, and resolution stays below 100 PPI even with high contrast simple patterns.
Re: Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #52236 is a reply to message #51791 ] Thu, 02 August 2012 13:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Good to know. Thanks. Think early 90's colour printing? Good tip.

Its only about 8cm high too which will probably affect the texture as well.

I'll post a picture of the result when it arrives.

Re: Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #52768 is a reply to message #52236 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 16:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's the result. I'm pretty happy and the mapping worked out better than I expected although I'll certainly revise the way I apply maps now.

Geometry detail was pretty good too. Better than I expected.

index.php?t=getfile&id=19731&private=0

• Attachment: m3_02.jpg
    (Size: 66.05KB, Downloaded 119 time(s))

Re: Sandstone Texture mapping Questions [message #52780 is a reply to message #52768 ] Fri, 17 August 2012 18:19 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Wow, that's very cool indeedy!

Be sure to post in the It Arrived forum.

Previous Topic:Strong and flexible plastic vs. fine and detailed plastic
Next Topic:Little People!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.