Home » Community » General Discussion » Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51125] Wed, 11 July 2012 00:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar BudgetRaygun  is currently offline BudgetRaygun
Go to all my models
Howdy. I'm considering printing several small (jewelry-sized) pieces in polished silver and I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of past projects of a similar nature that they'd like to share with me.
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51156 is a reply to message #51125 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 17:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi!

You can have a look in the product pages of many of the jewelry shops to see detail in silver.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/novakingway
and
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/nervous

Both of these designers use silver and have good photos of their pieces.

Hope that helps!
Natalia

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51160 is a reply to message #51156 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 18:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Unfortunately, that doesn't help me very much. There are very few pics of anything that's actually been printed in silver and there's nothing that comes close to showing the accuracy of the process – specifically, something that shows details as small as the .3mm minimum detail tolerance listed in the materials. All of these warped mesh things are smooth and geometrically perfect. Nothing has any surface detail. If I wanted to print something the size of a quarter, with a low bas-relief illustration (like a quarter), is it going to show up?
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51163 is a reply to message #51125 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 18:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I did a search in the "it arrived" section for posts containing silver, and this one came up. Definitely a fine example of silver detail! http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=4965 8&&srch=silver#msg_49658

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51165 is a reply to message #51160 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar howardatPI  is currently offline howardatPI
Go to all my models
I don't have any photos here, but did get a silver part from shapeways that had very fine details. I was amazed at how well it turned out. I don't know what kind of variance in quality there is in the silver (part-to-part and order-to-order), but my experience was that the 0.3mm resolution is real.
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51169 is a reply to message #51163 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That's EXACTLY the sort of thing I was hoping to see. Thanks so much! If you know of any other examples, I'd love to see them.

Thanks again!
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51599 is a reply to message #51125 ] Fri, 20 July 2012 02:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jewelry  Lab  is currently offline Jewelry Lab
Go to my shop
you need to print on soliscape printer and then cast it, or cut it from wax on cnc, these are the only two options you have for finest details with many times higher resolution than any shapeways machine

Walter White
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51634 is a reply to message #51599 ] Sat, 21 July 2012 02:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dagann  is currently offline Dagann
Go to all my models
It's silver with many small details :
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=8547&a mp;start=0&
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51637 is a reply to message #51634 ] Sat, 21 July 2012 04:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tigermoth  is currently offline Tigermoth
Go to my shop
Beautiful work here!
I've been more than happy with the detail..could even get a makers mark and the 925 clearly in the inside of the ring shank...saves stamping it!
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51694 is a reply to message #51160 ] Mon, 23 July 2012 11:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
I do all my work in silver and i base it off the design rules and a lot of the detail in my work is as small as .3mm. In my shop, check out the vampire skull ring, the gaps between the teeth are .3mm-.5mm. Also, the first model I had printed were my earrings, I have pictures of them on my shop. I have my logo engraved on them. I printed these and then realized that the minimum detail is .3mm and parts of the engraved detail are .2mm. Fortunately for me I got lucky and my logo is crystal clear, but I DO NOT recommend going that small. I got lucky and it printed like I wanted. I can take pictures of the logo if you want...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51773 is a reply to message #51169 ] Tue, 24 July 2012 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
I've printed my scarab pendant in silver several times, and it is consistently the highest detail and smoothest finish of any of the metal materials. Picture below; head to tail, it's 4cm. The details like the claws are sub-millimeter and knife-sharp.

index.php?t=getfile&id=18860&private=0

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
Re: Anyone have any experience printing finely detailed objects in silver? [message #51901 is a reply to message #51125 ] Thu, 26 July 2012 13:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
And if you're still looking for detailed silver here is one of my latest. Measurements are: cm 2.76 w x 0.4 d x 3.14 h
Those "jewels" in the crown are micro small.

(Note, not publicly available)

index.php?t=getfile&id=18925&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 26 July 2012 13:04 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:Updating a 3D file
Next Topic:Scale Issue

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.