Home » Support » 3D Printing » Inconsistency in "Big parts" being rejected
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Inconsistency in "Big parts" being rejected [message #51550] Thu, 19 July 2012 04:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar inkmonkey@gmail.com  is currently offline inkmonkey@gmail.com
Go to all my models
I understand the "big parts" rules but there are some many inconsistencies in the rules and what actually ends up getting printed or not that it is a little confusing.

I ordered a 1mm thick big part in WSF a couple months ago. It was rejected. I upped the walls to 1.1 and it passed and I received the part

My last order contained too fairly long parts at 1mm wall thickness and it passed and I received the parts no problem.

Now my most recent order were mostly big parts. All those parts have been rejected asking me to thicken them to 2.1mm to 2.5mm. This of course increases the price dramatically.

So I just want to know why the inconsistencies? Why aren't big parts rejected upon upload instead of during production? Are there enforceable rules in places or is it up to the Shapeways operator's judgement at the time of print?

Thanks for listening to me gripe.
Re: Inconsistency in "Big parts" being rejected [message #51555 is a reply to message #51550 ] Thu, 19 July 2012 09:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
The problem with the large WSF parts is that they can warp. So it's going to be a judgment call by the operators as to whether the structure is going to be stiff enough to prevent it warping.

Bill Bedford
Re: Inconsistency in "Big parts" being rejected [message #51559 is a reply to message #51550 ] Thu, 19 July 2012 12:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Did you apply the calculator to your model? The auto-check is a work in progress, it'll get better at catching all the rules.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:Question about detail features & Materials
Next Topic:Nickel Silver?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.