Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Applications » converting existing MAX files?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
converting existing MAX files? [message #51485] Tue, 17 July 2012 18:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop
I have a sizable number of starship models (built using 3DS Max 2011 and earlier) that I would like to make available for 3D printing.

I've read the printing constraints and understand that it is far better to start with the 3D printing limitations in mind and build from there. Recreating all of the models from scratch is not a realistic option for me but before I give up on 3D printing, I wanted to ask if other have confronted and overcome this problem.

Are there any plugins, prodcedures, or advice that could make it feasible to turn a sloppy, highly detailed, starship model into something (probably far less detailed) that Shapeways could print?

Looking at a few of my models, the face count is high but within limits. It's the watertighness etc. that would cause problems as the ships are built out of a high number of intersecting shapes of various sorts. I imagine several are not watertight, and many probably have wierd normals (I use mirror a lot and that seems to flip normals just for fun Smile.

Like I said I assume it's not possible, but it would be really cool (and profitable!) to offer ship miniatures to go with my renderings and deckplans, soI figured I would ask.

Re: converting existing MAX files? [message #51501 is a reply to message #51485 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 21:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
Mesh Lab might be worth a try. Its free and has some good mesh repair tools .NetFabb basic is also free, has some good tools also, but it only accepts STL format, unlike MeshLab, which accepts several types of formats. Hope this helps, I hate to see good models not getting put to use for cash.Smile

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: converting existing MAX files? [message #51515 is a reply to message #51501 ] Wed, 18 July 2012 11:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT is currently online JACANT
Go to my shop
Try Viscam Mesh. It will open 3DS files and save them as STL. 30 day trial. http://www.marcam.de/cms/viscam-mesh.84.en.html

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: converting existing MAX files? [message #51790 is a reply to message #51515 ] Tue, 24 July 2012 17:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MikeP  is currently offline MikeP
Go to my shop
I'm in the same position. I have many years of 3d models that I would love to see as real objects.

Honestly I think it just takes a lot of time.

I've been splitting models up into sections. Kind of like plastic kits, So they can be put together after printing.

Otherwise decide which details can be dropped and drop them and then just start attaching sections together, booleaning or whatever, make sure they're stitched and solid and keep on going. Yes, its the watertight stitching of vertices that takes the time, a huge massive amount of time. And then you need to make the model hollow if you want the cost to be reasonable.

Its taken me months of part time work to get one little machine ready to print. And thats only going to be a test, I'm not even expecting the first few to be very presentable.

Craftsmanship. If it could be done quickly everyone would be doing it right?

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 17:32 UTC]

Re: converting existing MAX files? [message #52010 is a reply to message #51790 ] Sat, 28 July 2012 04:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop
I've been working with the process outlined here:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1704&a mp;start=0&

I don't have it working yet, but it's close. The mesh loses a lot of detail, but since the final product is going to be small, it might be ok. The 500k face limit is a bit of a roadblock though - especially if the final model is to be hollow.

0 hr: art & technology ( 0-hr.com )
Re: converting existing MAX files? [message #52023 is a reply to message #52010 ] Sat, 28 July 2012 09:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT is currently online JACANT
Go to my shop
The polygon face limit is now 1 million. If you go over try this.
http://www.shapeways.com/tutorials/polygon_reduction_with_me shlab

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Reducing number of shells
Next Topic:Sideways Blender Render?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.