Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Print density limitations prevent a sale
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Print density limitations prevent a sale [message #51468] Tue, 17 July 2012 15:21 UTC Go to next message
avatar JamesSaunders  is currently offline JamesSaunders
Go to my shop
I'm hoping that someone could explain to me the logic behind print density limitations again. I just got an email explaining that a sale was cancelled because the item could not be printed, with the following:

Quote:

- Porcupine Crayon Holder Base in Black Elasto Plastic: Can not be printed
: Density of the model is less then 5%

I've seen the lengthy discussions about how the print density impacts price breaks on WSF, and all the confusion caused by that. I've not seen anything explaining why ElastoPlastic has a minimum density. And I don't see why this print should be rejected, especially if it would pass this requirement if I added a useless brick of "waste" to the model to bump the density. None of this makes any sense.

It also is frustrating that the rejection occurs two weeks after the sale is made, when a volume check should be easy enough to run immediately upon sale. And it is ADDITIONALLY frustrating that I have no means to reach out to my customer and apologize or explain to them what the issue was. Why Shapeways continues to block seller/customer interaction is beyond me, and the main reason why I can't take this "marketplace" seriously.
Re: Print density limitations prevent a sale [message #51469 is a reply to message #51468 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 15:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
James,

I'll forward on your Elasto questions, as I'm not sure about the design rules. I'll also check on the status of Customer to Seller Direct Contact, as I see you've already commented on that on feedback. I apologize for it taking 2 weeks for it to be rejected. I agree that density should be checked automatically if it's a requirement for a material. I don't know, but it is possible that the rules changed after you uploaded? Elasto was extremely experimental and several changes had to be made along the way.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Print density limitations prevent a sale [message #51470 is a reply to message #51469 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 15:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JamesSaunders  is currently offline JamesSaunders
Go to my shop
Thanks Youknow. It is definitely possible, but I don't specifically recall checking into the elastoplastic design rules when I added the materials to my shop items. I'm familiar with the intent of the density limits (to attempt to encourage models that efficiently use print time and space), but the unintended consequence (as has bee discussed at some length) is that you end up requiring users to add in dummy blocks just to hit the threshold, which does no good for anyone. If there is some other reason for the limits, I'd love to hear it, because as it stands I feel that they are unnecessary and cumbersome.

I would love some update on the seller/customer communication, since there has been no word from Shapeways for over 6 months now.
Re: Print density limitations prevent a sale [message #51471 is a reply to message #51468 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 15:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
For Elasto, the short time it has left, adding blocks won't work unless they are attached. Unless I'm mistaken, Elasto doesn't allow for multiple items in one file.

As for the customer seller communication, hopefully I'll have some sort of update for you soon.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Print density limitations prevent a sale [message #51473 is a reply to message #51468 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 16:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi James,

Shapeways always contacts every customer, so when you got the email, so did your customer, apologizing on your behalf.

With customer-seller communications, it is currently possible to contact a seller with the "Send Message" button. There is no way to contact a buyer at the moment, unless through the forum, which I realize is not ideal.

We do want to introduce this feature, as has been discussed on UserVoice http://feedback.shapeways.com/forums/111989-shapeways-feedba ck/suggestions/2464547-customer-to-seller-direct-contact

but this is at least 3 months away, as we have to consider privacy issues and a way to integrate this into the site.

I will update UserVoice!

Thank you,
Natalia

Regarding Elasto, there is a minimum density specified in the Design Rules here: http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/elasto_plastic and Michael is right, you can not add a 'block' to bring up the density as multiple parts per STL are not permitted.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 July 2012 16:31 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
Re: Print density limitations prevent a sale [message #51474 is a reply to message #51468 ] Tue, 17 July 2012 16:30 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Dragoman  is currently offline Dragoman
Go to my shop
JamesSaunders wrote on Tue, 17 July 2012 15:21

And it is ADDITIONALLY frustrating that I have no means to reach out to my customer and apologize or explain to them what the issue was. Why Shapeways continues to block seller/customer interaction is beyond me, and the main reason why I can't take this "marketplace" seriously.

Very frustrating, especially if the item printed successfully earlier.

When something like that happens, I add a note explaining the situation to the description of the item in the shop.

Not a good solution, but better than nothing.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Previous Topic:Running total
Next Topic:E-Mails??

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.