Home » Community » General Discussion » Increase Sales?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Increase Sales? [message #51233] Thu, 12 July 2012 15:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar MichaelMueller  is currently offline MichaelMueller
Go to my shop
Hi,
I'm really happy to have the opportunity to create things via shapeways but sometimes I think it would be even cooler by selling more stuff. Wink

I guess most of the shapeways users are designers and not consumers. "Shapies" mainly buy their own stuff and only rarely products from other designers.
Is there a statistic available about gender and age of the average shapeways user? I would guess, male and 20-35 years old.
There are a lot of categories at shapeways which are cool but not easy to sell via the shop, like art or jewelry.
On the other hand, there are platforms like dawanda, etsy or ebay which might be perfect to sell this kind of products. I know, a lot of shapies already use one or more of this shop systems. Right now, I'm "only" using the shapeways shop, but ...

If you try to sell your stuff through other shops, there might be a few difficulties?

First of all, it's hard to explain the customers, why they have to wait a few week till the product is produced. This certainly makes it less attractive for them.
If you only sell products "in stock", you have to include double shipping costs (from shapeways to you and from you to the customer).
The shipping costs could be very expensive if e.g. you live in europe and the customer in america. Also you take on the finacial risk and you lose money if you don't sell your stuff.
It could be a big advantage that shapeways is producing in europe and america. This could reduce shipping costs. Is it possible to use the shipping address of the customer for an order? I'm worried this might be not such easy? Also I've never seen something like a "gift option" you would use to send someone a shapeways product as a present.
A lot of shapies are already using etsy.com. Maybe someone can give me advice? This would be greate!

Thanks
Michael

Things I like to see done by shapeways if I had a few wishes:
- Make it more attractive, especially for new customers, not only for new designers. The purchase process should be as easy as possible.
- Do more advertising for potential customers who might be interessted in the typical products offered via the shapeways shop.
- Try to cooperate with companys like dawanda, etsy, ebay ...
Wink

[Updated on: Thu, 12 July 2012 16:02 UTC]

Michael Mueller
www.pookas.de
Re: Increase Sales? [message #51235 is a reply to message #51233 ] Thu, 12 July 2012 16:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The beauty of Shapeways business model is no need to carry stock Cool

However the difficulty is to persuade potential customers to buy your product Confused

YouTube works to a certain extent (and there's the oportunity to earn Google Adsense revenue too) - basically any websites that are 'social media' related use to get your name, designs and Shapeways Shop out there which in turn will get visitors and ultimately sales via Shapeways - all other sales venues will mean you need to carry stock and speculate more than just time for that residual income Wink

Previous Topic:sigh...
Next Topic:Multiple models in one file.