Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Snap Fits
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Snap Fits [message #48274] Fri, 11 May 2012 17:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar trishycakes  is currently offline trishycakes
Go to my shop
I am trying to create a snap if in objet material which is similar in nature to the frosted detal material here. It is a rigid plastic with some flexibilty (we are using durus white). I wanted to know if anyone had found a good tutorial on 3D modelling a snap fit.

I currently use Rhino 3D as my program of choice, but I am sure I can get information out of any program/tutorial.

Thanks,
Trish
Re: Snap Fits [message #50463 is a reply to message #48274 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar howard  is currently offline howard
Go to all my models
There is a good intro to snaps in the Protomold newsletter:

http://www.protomold.com/Design_Tips/UnitedStates/2011/2011- 11_designtips/default.htm

Also see Part 2.

The Protomold info is intended for injection-molded designs. There is more geometry freedom in 3D printing, but the principles of snap fits are the same.
Re: Snap Fits [message #50465 is a reply to message #50463 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar howard  is currently offline howard
Go to all my models
http://www2.basf.us//PLASTICSWEB/displayanyfile?id=0901a5e18 01499d5

Google works pretty well Smile
Re: Snap Fits [message #51171 is a reply to message #50465 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar howardatPI  is currently offline howardatPI
Go to all my models
As far as modelling mechanical parts in Rhino, I find it frustrating compared to SolidWorks. My best luck with Rhino has been using command-line scripts, composed in Notepad and making use of aliases to make the scripts shorter. For instance, `snsl` for Selnone Sellast, `get` for Selnone Selname.

The reason is to be able to make small tweaks and regenerate from scratch rather than getting bogged down in a mess of unparametrized geometry.

Previous Topic:AutoDesk Problems
Next Topic:Wallthickness Issues

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.