Home » Support » 3D Design » Snap Fits
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Snap Fits [message #48274] Fri, 11 May 2012 17:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar trishycakes  is currently offline trishycakes
Go to my shop
I am trying to create a snap if in objet material which is similar in nature to the frosted detal material here. It is a rigid plastic with some flexibilty (we are using durus white). I wanted to know if anyone had found a good tutorial on 3D modelling a snap fit.

I currently use Rhino 3D as my program of choice, but I am sure I can get information out of any program/tutorial.

Thanks,
Trish
Re: Snap Fits [message #50463 is a reply to message #48274 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 19:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar howard  is currently offline howard
Go to all my models
There is a good intro to snaps in the Protomold newsletter:

http://www.protomold.com/Design_Tips/UnitedStates/2011/2011- 11_designtips/default.htm

Also see Part 2.

The Protomold info is intended for injection-molded designs. There is more geometry freedom in 3D printing, but the principles of snap fits are the same.
Re: Snap Fits [message #50465 is a reply to message #50463 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar howard  is currently offline howard
Go to all my models
http://www2.basf.us//PLASTICSWEB/displayanyfile?id=0901a5e18 01499d5

Google works pretty well Smile
Re: Snap Fits [message #51171 is a reply to message #50465 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 19:04 UTC Go to previous message
avatar howardatPI  is currently offline howardatPI
Go to all my models
As far as modelling mechanical parts in Rhino, I find it frustrating compared to SolidWorks. My best luck with Rhino has been using command-line scripts, composed in Notepad and making use of aliases to make the scripts shorter. For instance, `snsl` for Selnone Sellast, `get` for Selnone Selname.

The reason is to be able to make small tweaks and regenerate from scratch rather than getting bogged down in a mess of unparametrized geometry.

Previous Topic:AutoDesk Problems
Next Topic:Wallthickness Issues