Home » Support » 3D Applications » Problem with sizes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Problem with sizes [message #50926] Fri, 06 July 2012 16:50 UTC Go to next message
avatar maximusin3d  is currently offline maximusin3d
Go to my shop
Hi, whenever i upload a project to Shapways the size is always wrong.. i am using 3ds max 2010 and the height of my object is 4cm. I export it in STL format and when i look at "My Models" on Shapeways it is .4 cm... has anybody run into this and what could be the problem/what am i doing wrong?
Re: Problem with sizes [message #50927 is a reply to message #50926 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 17:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
So you're working in cm, and the upload offers mm or meters. Seeing your seeing a drop of one decimal point, I'm assuming you upload as mm. You'll need to export as mm and upload as mm. Or you can scale up your model by 10.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Problem with sizes [message #50928 is a reply to message #50926 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 17:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi!

This depends on the settings both in max and at upload time.
In max there is Customize->Units Setup
Here you can choose how units are displayed.
I have this set at mm.

Up top is a button "System Unit Setup"
If you click that it will show you what the units max shows are in reality.
I have this at 1 unit is 1mm.

At upload time also then choose "mm" scale and you should be set Smile

Cheers,

Stijn

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 17:10 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Problem with sizes [message #50930 is a reply to message #50928 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 17:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ooooh i see, thanks! Im exporting cm and uploading as mm.

And thank you Virtox i think i have the units set up as 1 unit -> 1 cm even when im exporting as mm...

okay thanks guys, hopefully this solves my issue.
Re: Problem with sizes [message #50931 is a reply to message #50926 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Also you might find this a useful tool:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=3223 &#msg_3223

Cheers,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Problem with sizes [message #50933 is a reply to message #50931 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 17:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thaaaaat did it. They are uploading properly now. Thanks guys!
Re: Problem with sizes [message #50934 is a reply to message #50926 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 17:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Glad we could get you up and running!

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Problem with sizes [message #51794 is a reply to message #50928 ] Tue, 24 July 2012 19:24 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Helkat  is currently offline Helkat
Go to all my models
Hello!

I am having the same issue, however I have set both of these options to CM, (tried inch and mm too), also have tried exporting as stl and obj, and I still can't get the uploaded size to be correct. Any ideas? I am using 3ds max 2011. Thanks.

Previous Topic:[Blender/Netfabb] Easy way to increase wall thickness?
Next Topic:Reducing number of shells

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.