Home » Community » Work in progress » Scale Model Library
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Scale Model Library [message #48769] Tue, 22 May 2012 17:49 UTC Go to next message
avatar sidnaique  is currently offline sidnaique
Go to my shop
I am building a huge library of scale models needed for architectural scale projects.

Most of the time the priority is to get the elevation right and in the end there is no enough time to decorate the interior or exterior to make it look real. Well, I will be making a huge collection of scale models available for sale here at shapeways. So stay tuned.

All these models are hollow and haven't found any better technique to reduce the printing cost yet.Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=17095&private=0

Thank you all and hopefully 3d printing will be affordable soon Smile
sid naique

• Attachment: update-1.jpg
    (Size: 181.65KB, Downloaded 537 time(s))

sid naique
Re: Scale Model Library [message #48849 is a reply to message #48769 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 13:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tessman  is currently offline tessman
Go to my shop
Is it feasible to make these smaller, and print them in FUD? Even though the material costs more, every time you halve the linear dimensions, you get a reduction to 1/8 the volume (and cost).
Re: Scale Model Library [message #48851 is a reply to message #48849 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 15:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
tessman wrote on Thu, 24 May 2012 13:55

Is it feasible to make these smaller, and print them in FUD? Even though the material costs more, every time you halve the linear dimensions, you get a reduction to 1/8 the volume (and cost).

First: thse are good looking models. But.. for shrinking, it all depends upon what scale you want to shrink them down to.

Many of the items shown have parts that have an apparent thicknes of around 1 inch (shelves, chair legs, etc). In general, that translates to 1:38 scale in FUD (1 inch = 0.6mm)

If you want to go down to the common Model Train scales of 1:87 (HO) or 1:160 (N), then you have to have thicker parts. Unfortunately, that means re-designing the items, usually pretty much from scratch.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Scale Model Library [message #48862 is a reply to message #48769 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 17:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@ tessman,
If you want these models just smaller to reduce the cost, YES it is possible and they should be printable in FUD till half of their current dimensions(linear). Of course, not all of them, but most of them.

If you want them to be of scales stonysmith has mentioned then we better listen to him Smile

Here is what I did. I scaled the "chair 01" model from its old dimensions of 48.23 x 54.44 x 88.90 mm down to 24.11 x 27.22 x 44.45 mm. After doing so the minimum wall thickness i got was 1.10 mm (also this was a supported wall) which is enough to be printable in FUD (correct me if I am missing something).

And the cost did reduce significantly. Here is the new scaled down model. and the old model.

This is actually interesting. I can scale down all the models to reduce the cost. I was just busy making models and dint think about the cost much(other than making them hollow and stuff). I am just an artist and not so good at mathematics Razz

Thanks,
sid naique
index.php?t=getfile&id=17155&private=0

sid naique
Re: Scale Model Library [message #48864 is a reply to message #48862 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 18:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Jettuh  is currently offline Jettuh
Go to my shop
The Sims: Shapeways Surprised

awesome!
Re: Scale Model Library [message #48866 is a reply to message #48862 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 18:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tessman  is currently offline tessman
Go to my shop
sidnaique,

I don't think I'm a potential customer (I'm more drawn to the abstract), but I'm glad my suggestion was helpful.

Larry
Re: Scale Model Library [message #48873 is a reply to message #48769 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@ Larry,
Your suggestion was really helpful. My scale model collection is going to be less expensive now Smile. Thanks a lot! After replying to your post, I checked all my models and realized that I can scale almost all of them down to 50% without having to rework on them.

@ Jettuh,
Thanks. Smile

sid naique
Re: Scale Model Library [message #50890 is a reply to message #48851 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 04:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
stonysmith wrote on Thu, 24 May 2012 15:54

If you want to go down to the common Model Train scales of 1:87 (HO) or 1:160 (N), then you have to have thicker parts. Unfortunately, that means re-designing the items, usually pretty much from scratch.

Stony,

As an example, for 1:87 scale, what standard wall thickness do you suggest for a model?

Noel

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 05:00 UTC]

Re: Scale Model Library [message #50892 is a reply to message #48862 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 05:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
Sidnaique:-

The international standard for Dolls Houses is 1inch/1foot (1/12), and now too, a big following in 1/24th.
Re: Scale Model Library [message #50904 is a reply to message #50890 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 11:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Phxman wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 04:59

Stony,

As an example, for 1:87 scale, what standard wall thickness do you suggest for a model?

Noel

For this chair in particular, the minimum "supporting wire" thickness in FUD is 0.6mm

At 1:220, that is 5.2 inches thick (scale).
At 1:160, that is 3.7 inches thick (scale).
At 1:87, that is 2.1 inches thick (scale).

So in HO (1:87), your chair leg must be at least 2.1 inches thick, where, as I noted, yours is aparently only 1 inch thick.

The back of the chair can be considered a "wall", and could be down as thin as 0.3mm, so it can be half that thick.

Just keep in mind, that "thin wires" are VERY fragile in FUD.. Several of my models such as http://shpws.me/3UfZ have arrived with every one of the smokestacks snapped off due to shipping. (they are 6 inches thick or 0.69mm)
That is why I packaged these http://shpws.me/3UfN with the wheel struts to the inside.. every one of them arrived unbroken.

=====

What is very surprising about FUD is how both strong and fragile it is. At 0.3mm.. if you breathe on it, it'll break, but this model: http://shpws.me/3Ufh is nearly 2mm thick everywhere and I'd dare say that it'd support 15 pounds of weight or more with no damage.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Scale Model Library - Update [message #50919 is a reply to message #48769 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 13:51 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks everyone for the discussion. I am getting to learn a lot. Smile

@ Phxman:-
Thanks a lot for the information.

After trying a lot of possibilities, I have reached a scale of approx. 1:39(1 inch:1 meter) for my models. Below this scale I am forced to inflate the details, loose the proportions, etc. I dint like the idea because I want to build a library of 'Detailed' scale models.

I am also keeping in mind the sets for Stop Motion Animation Projects where details are more important than the size and the models require paint job.

So I have fixed the scale of 1:39 as the minimum scale for now and will reduce only if requested. Also the wall thickness of all these models is always above 1mm(Very safe even for less expensive plastics and comfortable to paint over) and only in few cases it goes below 1mm but is above 0.8mm at any cost.

Here is an update of some new models and couple of old ones which I have worked on(I have worked on all my models and made them 1:39 with 1mm minimum wall thickness but dint include them in the update)

(Please continue the discussion about scale modeling and 3d Printing here, I am learning a lot. Smile)

Thank you all,
sid naique.
index.php?t=getfile&id=18268&private=0

• Attachment: Update02.jpg
    (Size: 187.20KB, Downloaded 306 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 13:54 UTC]

sid naique

Previous Topic:1/64 Rally Fighter
Next Topic:Alien dice

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.