Home » Support » 3D Printing » Two finishes on one object?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon3.gif  Two finishes on one object? [message #50595] Fri, 29 June 2012 14:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar sungod  is currently offline sungod
Go to all my models
HI,

Im trying to design a ring which has a steel base and a goldfinished part in it.

I didnt find a tutorial how to indicate different finishes on the same object. Is that even possible?

Or has anyone an example of different metal finishes, I only found some with different plastics.

Cheers

Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50620 is a reply to message #50595 ] Fri, 29 June 2012 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Are you talking about plated Stainless? The only way to currently do this would be to order in gold, and to remove the gold plate where you don't want it when you get it. Also check out the Post Production section for methods of colorizing and oxidizing stainless pieces.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50627 is a reply to message #50620 ] Fri, 29 June 2012 21:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Yes stainless steel with gold finish.
I didnt think about scratching it of, alternatively i could do two seperate parts and solder them together. Do you think that the solder tin sticks to the steel and gold?
Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50655 is a reply to message #50627 ] Sat, 30 June 2012 20:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
sungod wrote on Fri, 29 June 2012 21:11

(...) Do you think that the solder tin sticks to the steel and gold?

hard-soldering (brazing):
Hell, yes... but that would kill the gold finish.

soft-soldering: Well, probably...
But...
Wouldn't it be much easier to glue it ?
Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50664 is a reply to message #50655 ] Sun, 01 July 2012 07:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
sure superglue will do but soldingring is more permanent i think. ill try it and report it.
Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50667 is a reply to message #50664 ] Sun, 01 July 2012 10:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Not good... Superglue is quick, but that's all...
Cyanoacrylate is neither moisture- nor temperature-resistant.

I would use something like Pattex "Power-Mix Metal" or "Repair Extreme".
Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50668 is a reply to message #50667 ] Sun, 01 July 2012 11:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Power-Mix Metal that sounds at least strong Very Happy ill give that a try
Re: Two finishes on one object? [message #50670 is a reply to message #50595 ] Sun, 01 July 2012 11:26 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
sungod wrote on Fri, 29 June 2012 14:54

HI,

Im trying to design a ring which has a steel base and a goldfinished part in it.

The gold finish is electro-plated, if you want the gold on just part of your piece you will have to do the plating yourself or find someone local to yourself who would be willing to do it for you.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 July 2012 11:27 UTC]

Bill Bedford

Previous Topic:A printable model is being rejected?
Next Topic:FUD max dimensions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.