Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Not attached?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Not attached? [message #50478] Wed, 27 June 2012 22:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar iSay  is currently offline iSay
Go to my shop
Hi,

I recently had a model rejected due to certain features not being attached. How can I resolve this?

I don't understand how they're not attached to the rest of the model.

If anyone can help I've attached the x3d file.

Thanks

• Attachment: cuperror.zip
    (Size: 21.91KB, Downloaded 32 time(s))

-iSay
www.shapeways.com/shops/icraft
Re: Not attached? [message #50479 is a reply to message #50478 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 23:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just imported the file into blender and it does seem be be detached - how does this happen? It seems fine in blender, but the exported x3d file messes up.

-iSay
Re: Not attached? [message #50521 is a reply to message #50478 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 13:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
It's hard to tell without the original file. How did it become detached? is there missing geometry?

I tried opening your x3d and my blender says 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 48: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm lucky if I could draw a line in blender so I have no idea what that means.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Not attached? [message #50524 is a reply to message #50521 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 13:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Thu, 28 June 2012 13:10

It's hard to tell without the original file. How did it become detached? is there missing geometry?

I tried opening your x3d and my blender says 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 48: ordinal not in range(128)

I'm lucky if I could draw a line in blender so I have no idea what that means.

That's the thing, I don't know why it became detached. I don't think it happens when I export it to an obj file, just x3d for some reason. But I need export it to x3d for the textures.

I'm completely baffled by this.

I just downloaded the x3d file and didn't get any errors, do you need the blend file? It's attached if so.

• Attachment: cup2.blend
    (Size: 617.60KB, Downloaded 19 time(s))

-iSay
Re: Not attached? [message #50525 is a reply to message #50478 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Looks like maybe it was because I was using an older version, but I opened your blend file in 2.59 and all I see is wires, no faces?

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Not attached? [message #50526 is a reply to message #50525 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 13:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Could be an issue of an older version of blender, I'm using 2.63. There's definitely faces. Very Happy

-iSay
Re: Not attached? [message #50531 is a reply to message #50478 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 14:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Alright downloaded 2.63. Like I said, no blender expert here. I imported your x3d and I'm not seeing any detatched pieces, but I see that it is not 1. Like I can select pieces of it. Is that what you mean? if so, I don't think I can help you further, need a blender person to step in.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Not attached? [message #50534 is a reply to message #50531 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 14:30 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Yea, I assume that's the issue I'm having with printing. Those pieces being separate is making it not watertight? The original is whole. Like I said, I'm at a complete loss.

I've e-mailed shapeways and hope they can help me resolve this.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort mate.

-iSay

Previous Topic:Would this pendant work? (Both technical and design wise)
Next Topic:Making a hole in Meshlab