Home » Support » 3D Printing » Medical Grade Stainless Steel
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Medical Grade Stainless Steel [message #50419] Wed, 27 June 2012 02:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar knowledgehammer  is currently offline knowledgehammer
Go to all my models
I wanted to create a series of piercing pieces of jewelry, but wanted to know the quality and grade of the stainless steel you can print in. Any info? Seeking - 316LVM F-138 implant grade stainless steel, or 6AL4V ELI F-136 implant grade titanium.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 June 2012 02:41 UTC]

Re: Medical Grade Stainless Steel [message #50454 is a reply to message #50419 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 15:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

No, Shapeways stainless is not suitable for piercings - you can find out more about Shapeways Stainless from the Stainless Material Page and an overview of all the materials Shapeways currently offer via the Materials page

Paul
Re: Medical Grade Stainless Steel [message #50455 is a reply to message #50419 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 15:10 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
The SW material is a composite of ss alloy 420 and a tin bronze alloy. Definitely not good for piercing applications. You might have to look a different process to specify the alloys you will need to use.
Laser sintering (SLS) would allow this, but the cost is astronomical.

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:Stainless steel, 3mm or 2mm?
Next Topic:A printable model is being rejected?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.