Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Update 3D model reports an error but same file works if new
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Update 3D model reports an error but same file works if new [message #50415] Tue, 26 June 2012 22:02 UTC Go to next message
avatar decapod  is currently offline decapod
Go to my shop
Updating a model from the Edit model screen (selecting mm as the scale) sends the "There's a problem" e-mail

"Based upon the size, volume and wallthickness of your product there
is no printer available which is able to print your product.
Please adjust the volume and/or size of your product."

and yet if I upload the model as a new model (selecting mm as the scale) it works correctly.
Tried several times.

New model:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/615403/
Old, trying to update:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/499594

Re: Update 3D model reports an error but same file works if new [message #50417 is a reply to message #50415 ] Tue, 26 June 2012 23:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
I've seen this happen when the (new) model didn't fit the design rules such as minimum wall thickness, etc.

On the new model, all materials are available by default. On your old model, you've got several materials turned off. Whichever material it is that IS working... if you enable it on the old model, then the upload will work.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
icon14.gif  Re: Update 3D model reports an error but same file works if new [message #50425 is a reply to message #50417 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 06:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar decapod  is currently offline decapod
Go to my shop
Brilliant - that worked, Thanks.

It's really odd, the old model was only allowed FUD which has the finest tolerances.
The model is well within the material tolerances.

Looks like a bug somewhere, at least I have a workaround now.
Re: Update 3D model reports an error but same file works if new [message #50451 is a reply to message #50425 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 14:43 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Check my two postings here..
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&&th=7 825&goto=41969#msg_41969

If your model contains many shells.. it is possible that Netfabb is having trouble measuring one of them properly.

There is also the chance that you have one or more "degenerate shells".. where the volume of the shell is zero. That drives the automated checker to reporting an error when it might actually be okay.

This is partly why the automated checker is (has been) difficult to implement. There's still a bit of human judgement required.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Foxknife Who
Next Topic:When is a URL not a URL?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.