Home » Community » General Discussion » Model Display orientation
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model Display orientation [message #50333] Mon, 25 June 2012 14:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar BabaJaiy  is currently offline BabaJaiy
Go to my shop
Anyone know how can I change the orientation of my uploaded models.

Most of my models I make are with the intention to be printed in metals. So the expense of having to print all my models then take a picture of them to upload is beyond my means.

The way the models are displayed in Shapeways gives very little idea to a potential customer of what the my models look like and hence I am not able to promote them.

I do all of my work in Solidworks.

I use the front, side and top base planes to begin my work.

I also use many additional custom planes based of the main planes to be able to do my work.

I could from looking at the Shapeways uploaded models guess at what initial planes I could make to correspond to how Shapeways will eventually display; But this is very difficult and complicated once I have to start adding additional planes of orientation for the work itself.

Perhaps Shapeways could add an edit model display orientation feature? ( if not already implemented of which I am unaware ).
Re: Model Display orientation [message #50337 is a reply to message #50333 ] Mon, 25 June 2012 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar opresco  is currently offline opresco
Go to my shop
Download the free version of Netfab.
http://www.netfabb.com/download.php
Open your STL file in Netfab.
Rotate (Enlarge, Reduce) the model any way you like.
Export as STL.
Upload to Shapeways.

cascador
Re: Model Display orientation [message #50339 is a reply to message #50337 ] Mon, 25 June 2012 15:13 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RubenAlexander  is currently offline RubenAlexander
Go to my shop
To move your model to the origin using netfabb, right click on the model and click move. You'll see 3 fields and a button that says "to origin". Click the button, click "move", and your model will be at 0,0 on the platform.

I like moving things to the platform origin before rotating.

Re: Model Display orientation [message #50340 is a reply to message #50337 ] Mon, 25 June 2012 15:13 UTC Go to previous message
avatar BabaJaiy  is currently offline BabaJaiy
Go to my shop
Thank you Opresco and Ruben

[Updated on: Mon, 25 June 2012 15:44 UTC]

Previous Topic:Max Payne - pendant
Next Topic:Shapeway Prices compared to US printers

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.