Home » Community » General Discussion » Wax alternative
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Wax alternative [message #50263] Sat, 23 June 2012 10:22 UTC Go to next message
avatar 7710140f9e  is currently offline 7710140f9e
Go to all my models
Hello everyone. We currently have our parts printed in wax on a Solid Scape T76 printer at .001" resolution.

The quality of the detail is incredible. However the parts are EXTREMELY fragile.

We have tried other services before but have been unhappy with the styrations on the parts - and because our parts are very very small and have lots and lots of detail - it is very difficult to clean them.

Can anyone recommend either a material on Shapeways that will give us the detail of wax but more strength? Or point us in another direction?

Thanks!
Re: Wax alternative [message #50282 is a reply to message #50263 ] Sat, 23 June 2012 22:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
SolidScapes are hard to match. So look for a place that prints with SolidScape and then clones that print in resin or maybe even metal. You keep the quality level as before and get a stronger material. There are companies doing that in the miniature market and it's pretty common workflow in jewelry, so you could convince them you want a cheap metal. Of course the purpose is making masters not final parts, as price wise it means even more than just printing.
Re: Wax alternative [message #50287 is a reply to message #50263 ] Sun, 24 June 2012 10:44 UTC Go to previous message
avatar crsdfr  is currently offline crsdfr
Go to all my models
Seek out a Bureau that runs a ProJet 3000CPX machine - 0.0006" layers.

Still quite fragile, but I've managed 0.2mm thick walls on these machines that have survived investment casting without issue.

Previous Topic:[Resolved] Photos of a Shapeways box please?
Next Topic:[Design Rule Update] Elasto Plastic

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.