Home » Community » Introductions » Tamfang's abstractions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Tamfang's abstractions [message #49991] Tue, 19 June 2012 06:15 UTC Go to next message
avatar Tamfang  is currently offline Tamfang
Go to my shop
Since 1981 I've lived near the Pacific coast of North America.

In 1997 I started using PoV-Ray to make mathematical abstractions.
Lately I've been doing my stuff mostly in Python.

In 2008 or 2009 I saw the Shapeways booth at a Maker Faire.

Each of my models comes from a Python program that builds a mesh in three formats simultaneously: in Visual Python (so I can move around for a better look), as a .POV file (for a permanent image), and in .OBJ (to send to Shapeways).

I have ideas for numerous designs based on uniform polychora (4-dimensional polytopes), but I lack the technique to generate the copies (up to 14400!) of a unit cell and tie them together properly.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 July 2012 07:59 UTC]

Re: Tamfang's abstractions [message #50119 is a reply to message #49991 ] Wed, 20 June 2012 16:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tessman  is currently offline tessman
Go to my shop
Ah, uniform polychora! Perhaps OpenSCAD would be useful? It's programmatic, and I've had some success translating my POV-Ray models into it, making allowances for the printing rules, of course.
Re: Tamfang's abstractions [message #50140 is a reply to message #50119 ] Thu, 21 June 2012 06:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tamfang  is currently offline Tamfang
Go to my shop
It's not obvious to me how one modeler would be more useful than another. Or is there one that can work in four dimensions (or in curved 3-space), whose toolbox includes "repeat with polychoral symmetry"?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 June 2012 18:49 UTC]

Previous Topic:Aloha
Next Topic:Hello Shapeways!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.