Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Tess Game Components
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Tess Game Components [message #49648] Mon, 11 June 2012 09:55 UTC Go to next message
avatar tessman  is currently offline tessman
Go to my shop
These arrived a while back, as you can tell from the dye colors. These are parts for my game Tess, the Tess Polygon Module and Tess Disc Module. This is a chess-like game played on tessellations of hexagons, squares and triangles. The pieces are distinguished by which polygons they can occupy. The polygons interlock, and are held together by mutual tension (3 to 6 at a vertex). I used "carriers" to keep all the parts together, a combination of cages and interpenetrating "sprues".index.php?t=getfile&id=17578&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17579&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=17580&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=17581&private=0
This last image is a double set, stored in a portable Stanley organizer with removable compartments. The current Polygon Module has 10% more polygons than shown, but would still fit.
index.php?t=getfile&id=17582&private=0

Re: Tess Game Components [message #49649 is a reply to message #49648 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 10:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'm posting this reply because of the file limitation per message. Here are a few sample setups.
index.php?t=getfile&id=17583&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17584&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17585&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17586&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17587&private=0

• Attachment: pa.jpg
    (Size: 151.64KB, Downloaded 281 time(s))

• Attachment: tusuu.jpg
    (Size: 156.57KB, Downloaded 277 time(s))

• Attachment: dluo.jpg
    (Size: 153.75KB, Downloaded 277 time(s))

• Attachment: prurzaui.jpg
    (Size: 175.93KB, Downloaded 279 time(s))

• Attachment: prursu-ukun.jpg
    (Size: 169.13KB, Downloaded 273 time(s))

Re: Tess Game Components [message #49650 is a reply to message #49648 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 10:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just one more reply to my own message Laughing Here are some old images of the pieces as they arrived on the carriers. The colors are way off, of course (old camera). The Polygon Module has been expanded from 20 layers to 22 (so 22 hexagons, 66 each of squares and triangles).
index.php?t=getfile&id=17588&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17589&private=0

My friend Mark built this snub cube while we were playing a game one day. It's actually rather fragile. I'm thinking of designing some polygons with longer clips, so they'll hold together in 3D. I would add pentagons, octagons, and decagons, so one could actually make all the convex polyhedra that use these polygons, including the Johnson solids. For this it would be nice to have two more dye colors (hint, hint) Cool
index.php?t=getfile&id=17590&private=0

Re: Tess Game Components [message #49652 is a reply to message #49650 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 12:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ceramicwombat  is currently offline ceramicwombat
Go to my shop
My mind is a little bit blown by this project. Must go to your website...absorb rules...
Re: Tess Game Components [message #50029 is a reply to message #49648 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yeah, I like the concept and design, but how long does it take to set up one of these "boards"? It's not like something one would whip out of the cupboard on a whim...

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Tess Game Components [message #50044 is a reply to message #49648 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 20:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Glenn,

Thanks. I'll try timing myself (without rushing) on one, and post the results.

Larry
Re: Tess Game Components [message #50094 is a reply to message #50029 ] Wed, 20 June 2012 10:32 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I set up the first variation (Pa) above (which by the way has one piece out of place in the photo). I assembled about half of the board at a time, and then put the two halves together. It took me about 10 minutes for each half, two minutes to put the halves together, and about two minutes for each player's pieces. So for two players working together, about 15 minutes, including about a minute to adjust the board so it lies flat (not always necessary).

Previous Topic:One ring - two finger passages
Next Topic:Five New Rings

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.