Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Removing Paint
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Removing Paint [message #49742] Tue, 12 June 2012 15:08 UTC Go to next message
avatar ecs_norway  is currently offline ecs_norway
Go to all my models
Been working on painting some items recently acquired in WSF. Sprayed them with a quick coat of white primer and started painting, but am very disappointed with my original choice of color. Any recommendations for removing paint?

I normally use Simple Green, is this safe to use on WSF?
Re: Removing Paint [message #49868 is a reply to message #49742 ] Fri, 15 June 2012 10:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What's Simple Green and what kind of paint have you used? WSF is Nylon-12 if that helps hunting down any answers for reactions.

Re: Removing Paint [message #49872 is a reply to message #49868 ] Fri, 15 June 2012 14:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ecs_norway  is currently offline ecs_norway
Go to all my models
Paints... a quick spray with Krylon primer, then common acrylic paints.

Simple Green... http://www.simplegreen.com/

It's a common cleaner. I've used it before on metal and resin castings for paint removal -- usually just needs to let it soak for a couple of days.

Active ingredients per their MSDS sheet:
Water
2-butoxyethanol
Ethoxylated Alchohol
Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate
Sodium Citrate
Re: Removing Paint [message #49873 is a reply to message #49872 ] Fri, 15 June 2012 14:34 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Nail varnish remover and a cotton swab should be just fine for removing acrylic paint without worry of effecting the WSF.

Previous Topic:Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel
Next Topic:WSF / Nylon12 - Dying Tip

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.