Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #18488] Tue, 28 September 2010 14:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I have an idea for a product, preferably in s/steel, but I suppose WSF or Detail might work. Part of the product will have a post into which I want to insert a screw.

Does anyone have experience doing this sort of thing? I suspect that modelling the thread in s/steel is going to be out of the question, which means I'm left with the acrylic.

Do you think that modelling the post with a smaller hole than the thread size would allow self-tapping when a screw is inserted?

Any feedback appreciated.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #18489 is a reply to message #18488 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TimberWolf  is currently offline TimberWolf
Go to all my models
Hi, self tapping is possible, I did it with Alumide. Just please be sure that the hole is not too small or the tapping will cause it to stress-crack. Maybe if your hole is more than a few mm deep, you could use a diameter about 0.5mm smaller than the screw diameter?

QX
Re: Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #18515 is a reply to message #18488 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 20:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Okay, well that helps, thanks. And as I recall Alumide is either WSF or Detail with something else thrown in.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #18518 is a reply to message #18488 ] Tue, 28 September 2010 21:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Charmed_Life_Designs  is currently offline Charmed_Life_Designs
Go to my shop
If I recall correctly, Alumide is WSF with aluminum flakes (or some other form of aluminum) in it.

When in doubt... Duct tape!
Re: Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #38612 is a reply to message #18488 ] Tue, 15 November 2011 13:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar brabantdental  is currently offline brabantdental
Go to all my models
Hi,

A thread is quite easy to insert post-production, very difficult to print functionally (especially the small sizes) in 3D.

Seems like you would be much better off simply use a threading tap (preferably a blind-hole type) to get the threads in there after receiving the item.

My suggestion would be to model a cilindrical hole with pre-drilling size for the desired thread size. M4= hole size 3.2 mm.

Re: Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #44851 is a reply to message #38612 ] Sat, 03 March 2012 22:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ggurov  is currently offline ggurov
Go to my shop
I work here
here's a neat chart for figuring out the drill size for thread size to properly tap the hole post process:

http://www.shender4.com/thread_chart.htm

Database Architect, DBA, Datacenter guru, infrastructure wizard, none of the above.
Re: Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel [message #49863 is a reply to message #18488 ] Fri, 15 June 2012 09:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar poobahuk  is currently offline poobahuk
Go to all my models
I've some experience in this.

I ordered a multi-part assembly in steel from Shapeways with 1.2mm diameter blind pilot holes, and 1.5mm clearance holes for assembly with M1.4 screws.

I had to drill out all the holes to clean them up with a mini-pillar drill, but it wasn't difficult.

I used a micro tap & die set I'd bought from Amazon to do the tapping, with a liberal application of generic 3 in 1 oil to the pilot holes.

It worked surprisingly well, as with all tapping into steel, you need a delicate touch to avoid snapping the tap.

Previous Topic:Questions about WSF vs WSF Polished
Next Topic:Removing Paint

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.