Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Model sizes incorrect?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Model sizes incorrect? [message #49455] Wed, 06 June 2012 09:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar terrymisu  is currently offline terrymisu
Go to all my models
I uploaded two sketches from AutoDesk Inventor 2013 that are designed in millimeters.

I exported the files to STL format, and uploaded them to Shapeways selecting millimeters as my scale.

My objects (both circular), which have a 50mm diameter show up as being a 0.5cm objects. This *should* be 5cm.

The length, width, and height for both objects is off by a factor of 10 for both files.

Is this a website bug, or is my sketch really going to come out a factor of 10 times smaller than it should when I print it?
Re: Model sizes incorrect? [message #49461 is a reply to message #49455 ] Wed, 06 June 2012 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
As far as I know, Inventor offers "unit" as STL export setting since version 2011.

Click "save copy as", and before you save the file, click "options"...

(No problems with Inventor 2010 so far. ^^)

[Updated on: Wed, 06 June 2012 12:18 UTC]

Re: Model sizes incorrect? [message #49462 is a reply to message #49455 ] Wed, 06 June 2012 12:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
It's not a website bug, generally an error like this is as the result of the software not exporting the right units of measurement, in your case perhaps one native unit is one centimeter. Simple solution is to scale up by 10 times and upload again.
Re: Model sizes incorrect? [message #49502 is a reply to message #49462 ] Thu, 07 June 2012 05:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar terrymisu  is currently offline terrymisu
Go to all my models
Aha...

There is an "Options" button when you export STL files that lets you change the units for STL.

By default, the units are in CM.

My model is in MM, but it doesn't automatically detect that.

I'll try exporting as MM and re-uploading.

Thanks!

Previous Topic:6/6 Release Notes
Next Topic:Model preview not showing current model