Home » Community » Introductions » Rubber Stamps?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Rubber Stamps? [message #39471] Tue, 29 November 2011 12:10 UTC Go to next message
avatar Wil-O  is currently offline Wil-O
Go to all my models
My name is Wil Ooms, retired in Haaksbergen The Netherlands, spent many years in the hand stamp industry, introducing several manufacturing methods for both rubber and pre-inked stamps. I am wondering if there is a rubber type material, which can be printed with a 3D printer?

I could provide the required stamp parameters.

It would interest me to speak with someone who would want to look into producing a hand stamp.

Thanks, Wil
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39486 is a reply to message #39471 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 15:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Hi Wil,

There are rubber printers, but currently shapeways doesn't have rubber. I don't know where it is on the list of potential to be added, but it has been mentioned before

Mike

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39511 is a reply to message #39486 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks Mike, when you open the following link: http://www.shapeways.com/creator/stampmaker
you will see that Shapeways offers stamps, obviously they must have material to do so. SInce I am new to this 3D printing market the situation is not quite clear. Does Shapeway sell the printers, the materials and the finished product?

Most likely I should try to contact Shapeways to find out.

Best regards, Wil
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39514 is a reply to message #39471 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 18:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I went back in time to see what I could find, and it appears the stamps weren't rubber, but a flexible clear material.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/237-The-Shapeways-Sta mpmaker.html

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39517 is a reply to message #39514 ] Tue, 29 November 2011 18:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
That is very possible, even today stamps are often made with photopolymer with a photographic process. The rubber was before the polymer and came back into the industry by the use of laser engravers. A 3D printer would not necessarily need to use rubber. Any material being flexible with a decent capability to pick up / transfer ink could do the job.
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39655 is a reply to message #39486 ] Thu, 01 December 2011 10:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Adelle  is currently offline Adelle
Go to all my models
hello everyone..
I've also used stamps in decorating toys, cards and in designing purposes..
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39660 is a reply to message #39655 ] Thu, 01 December 2011 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hi Adelle, question about the stamps you used: where they 3D printed stamps? Thanks, Wil Ooms
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39735 is a reply to message #39660 ] Fri, 02 December 2011 13:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Depending upon the type of stamp you are trying to make.. one thing that might work well is to use Shapeways to print the negative MOLD for the stamp. I would imagine that the WSF or WD materials would survive several castings each.

You might even try using Image Popper for this purpose.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39737 is a reply to message #39735 ] Fri, 02 December 2011 13:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Making the master mold is an option, but it will be a long way around. In that case a laser engraver engraving directly on the rubber is much more effective. I had hoped that a 3D printer could print the rubbery type characters.
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39739 is a reply to message #39737 ] Fri, 02 December 2011 14:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TurtlesAreCool  is currently offline TurtlesAreCool
Go to my shop
It sounds like you are wanting to stamp with ink, which I have not tried. I can say I have made a stamp for pressing into clay. The WSF material works just fine for this. I assume that such stamps could also be used with ink, but I have not tried that. It might be worth a shot...WSF is pretty cheap.
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39740 is a reply to message #39739 ] Fri, 02 December 2011 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Indeed, a rubber stamp, to be used in combination with an ink pad or into what is called a self-inking stamp, which is a plastic housing in which the text plate (either rubber or photopolymer) reciprocates against the ink pad when it is being used. SInce I am new to this forum I am wondering what WSF means? Thanks!
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #39742 is a reply to message #39740 ] Fri, 02 December 2011 14:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
WSF = White Strong Flexible
See the Materials Page.. its a nylon material.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Rubber Stamps? [message #49466 is a reply to message #39471 ] Wed, 06 June 2012 12:59 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I know this is an old thread, but for stamp makers, look what one of our many awesome community members has made for you! http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=9772&a mp;start=0&

Previous Topic:Bushwick Open Studio jewelry exhibit.
Next Topic:Hello from North Carolina

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.