Home » Community » General Discussion » Help getting this printed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Help getting this printed [message #49229] Thu, 31 May 2012 17:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar humpmetwice  is currently offline humpmetwice
Go to my shop
Please does anyone see anything that will cause this model not to print?

• Attachment: qqe.stl
    (Size: 2.96MB, Downloaded 25 time(s))

Re: Help getting this printed [message #49233 is a reply to message #49229 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 17:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
What's the intended material?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Help getting this printed [message #49234 is a reply to message #49229 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 17:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What Units are you going to use when uploading it?
If you select Millimeters.. it's way too small. It would work in some materials if you pick Inches.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Help getting this printed [message #49238 is a reply to message #49233 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 18:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
White, Strong & Flexible
Re: Help getting this printed [message #49239 is a reply to message #49238 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 19:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
so White, Strong & Flexible in inches would work?
Re: Help getting this printed [message #49240 is a reply to message #49229 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 19:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
If your printing both pieces in one file, you'll probably need to separate them some more. I'm measuring .01" between the parts, and it's recommended to have a gap of at least .5mm to prevent fusing (or around .02 inches) Also notice some details that are measuring .02". This area's might be too long to be considered details, and may cause it to be rejected, as WSF requires .7mm (around .03") For details to be smaller, the length of the detail shouldn't be greater than the width. So it can be .02" wide as long as it's no more than .02" long. The only places I'm seeing this are in the back of the bottom piece so you could thicken them without it being really noticeable from the front. There are a couple odd spikes on the cheekbones that may need reducing, which I'm not sure if you intended to have spikes there anyway?

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Help getting this printed [message #49243 is a reply to message #49239 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 20:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The areas in the image below would probably be considered too thin to print in WSF.

index.php?t=getfile&id=17313&private=0

Grab yoursefl a free copy of NetFabb Studo Basic to measure your models so that you can be sure that they comply with your chosen material design rules.

• Attachment: yes.JPG
    (Size: 75.53KB, Downloaded 228 time(s))

Re: Help getting this printed [message #49245 is a reply to message #49243 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 22:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Think I'm just about to give up!
Re: Help getting this printed [message #49246 is a reply to message #49245 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Why?

Just adjust the thin areas and job done!

FYI - I adjusted your model to show correct sizes in NetFabb, but I work in mm so that's what I showed - it ain't rocket science to convert measurement units Wink

Anyhow, go check out http://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/stainless-steel-under- 3-mm , sometimes rules can be broken Very Happy but for WSF under 0.7mm walls have the possibility of having parts break off during the print thus ruining the whole print run which still has to be paid for by Shapeways, so understandably Shapeways can be quite strict about their requirements to ensure your model is economically printable.

To summarise;
Read the design rules for your chosen material.
Use NetFabb Basic to measure your models.
Adjust your model to comply with the design rules.
Job done!

Edit:Spelling re-corrected (summarise had an 's', coz I'm proper English Wink)

[Updated on: Sat, 02 June 2012 17:16 UTC]

Re: Help getting this printed [message #49333 is a reply to message #49229 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 16:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
This is my latest attempt, please tell me this will print.

• Attachment: test.stl
    (Size: 2.71MB, Downloaded 12 time(s))

Re: Help getting this printed [message #49334 is a reply to message #49333 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 17:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Possibly, but there are still some thin areas, and if it does print, those thin areas will be very fragile.

index.php?t=getfile&id=17344&private=0

• Attachment: maybe.JPG
    (Size: 77.08KB, Downloaded 156 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 02 June 2012 17:25 UTC]

Re: Help getting this printed [message #49405 is a reply to message #49229 ] Tue, 05 June 2012 01:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think this is my last attempt to get this printed unless anyone here is will to help. If willing to help please be reasonable with price. Thanks Kurt

• Attachment: eee.stl
    (Size: 2.70MB, Downloaded 14 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 05 June 2012 01:27 UTC]

Re: Help getting this printed [message #49409 is a reply to message #49405 ] Tue, 05 June 2012 03:51 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mctrivia  is currently offline mctrivia
Go to my shop
if you do not need it to be so small netfabb can blow it up by 50% which would definitely make it printable. I think you are close enough though that if you upload in inches and ask them to print it will get through.

Follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/mctrivia or my blog at http://4ddice.blogspot.com/

Previous Topic:Can we link to our models on Shapeways?
Next Topic:working in color sandstone questions

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.