Home » Support » 3D Applications » Judging how many poly to add in Sculptriss
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Judging how many poly to add in Sculptriss [message #49173] Wed, 30 May 2012 01:33 UTC Go to next message
avatar Flubber  is currently offline Flubber
Go to all my models
Hi I am using Sculptriss to model some bracelets for Shapways to print.

I am sort of checking them at a life size (actual size) on my monitor to stay in tune with the proportions of things.

Sculptriss automatically subdivides areas as you model.

What I am wondering is there any way to get an idea of how faceted or not a piece will be ?

The pieces look smooth at actuall size on the monitor but since I have not printed out any thing yet I am wondering how to really guage this from within the modeling software.

Thanks, Flubber
Re: Judging how many poly to add in Sculptriss [message #49185 is a reply to message #49173 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In Scupltris, use the 'W' to turn on the wireframe. You'll see the triangles that make up the model mesh. If you go over Shapeways 1 million triangle limit you can use the Reduce brush to selectively reduce the triangle count on areas that maybe do not need such a high count.

Another little tip, try to aim for triangles that are as small as the minimum detail or even half of that to ensure a smooth print with minimal stepping.

Re: Judging how many poly to add in Sculptriss [message #49195 is a reply to message #49173 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 17:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
To add to that, Sculptris doesn't "do" scale. Your items will have a size, but it's not measurable in Sculptris. You'll have to export it out to another software to obtain the scale you want.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Judging how many poly to add in Sculptriss [message #49196 is a reply to message #49195 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 17:41 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Mike, Sculptris does do scale, it just doesn't show the units and it will keep the correct size of an imported OBJ file Smile

[edit]similar to what you said, but different Wink

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:42 UTC]

Previous Topic:Trouble with balance point testing (Softimage)
Next Topic:Printing in Colour from Netfabb Studio

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.